CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Fuel Injectors

richardf

I took my 1990 sedan deville to a repair shop for tune up. Car was still missing when I got it back. They said the number 2 7 8 fuel injectors needed replacing after they had done a compression check. I took it to a auto service station. They said the only fuel injectors are the two in the carb. They replaced a fuel filter that was almost completel stopped up. Car runs 90% better. Who is right. Does this model have a number 2 & 8 fuel injector?? Thanks

The '90 - '95 4.* liter engines are equipped with a sequential Port Fuel Injection (PFI) system. The Sequential Port Fuel Injection system replaces the Throttle Body Injection (TBI) system used in previous years. The PFI system replaces the two injectors in the throttle body with eight injectors located in the intake manifold. There is one injector above each intake valve. A fuel rail distributes fuel to each of the injectors.

Your engine is 4.5 liter and equipped with eight fuel injectors. It was 4.1 liter engine that had TBI system.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

The '90 - '95 engines are equipped with a sequential Port Fuel Injection (PFI) system. The Sequential Port Fuel Injection system replaces the Throttle Body Injection (TBI) system used in previous years. The PFI system replaces the two injectors in the throttle body with eight injectors located in the intake manifold. There is one injector above each intake valve. A fuel rail distributes fuel to each of the injectors.

Your engine is 4.5 liter and equipped with eight fuel injectors. It was 4.1 liter engine that had TBI system.

Thanks Adallak. My car runs so much smoother now with fuel filter replacment. What confuses me is both mechanics were supposed to have run these diagnostic tests anc came up with the info they gave me. So, I guess I am back to square one on the fuel injectors. thanks

Thanks Adallak. My car runs so much smoother now with fuel filter replacment. What confuses me is both mechanics were supposed to have run these diagnostic tests anc came up with the info they gave me. So, I guess I am back to square one on the fuel injectors. thanks

You can test the injectors to see whether their resistance is around 14 ohm. If some of them are not good, it makes sense to replace all eight with refurb. injectors from Ford Crown Vic, Mustang, etc. Many 4.5 and 4.9 engine owners have done that including myself. A set of refurb. injectors should be around $150 on eBay.Do you have an ohmmeter? I can show you an easy way to measure the resistance of the injectors.

On the other hand, if the car runs much better with fuel filter replaced, I would put some Lucas fuel injector cleaner in FULL tank of gas and drive it. Do not replace anything for a while.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

The 1988 and 1989 4.5 engines had throttle body injection. The 1990 version and 1991-1995 4.9 engines had multi-port injection.

The injectors in the multi-port systems in the 4.5 and 4.9 tend to develop shorts in the windings and once they begin to fail, there is no ressurectig them. You can try some fuel injector cleaner but I would not expect it to cure the problem.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived