CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

what could cause a engine fire

steveo412

Never trust a mechanic whose socks don't match, or whose car you wouldn't drive.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

• 2 weeks later...

yup i really dont know what caused it,maybe one of the spark plug wires,the coil pack is fryed,im mean its really burnt,when i get everything back together and if there is a sensor bad and it wont start,wont my pcm tell me which one?

I had a bad coil almost start a fire on my 94 Concours once. I had been suspecting a bad coil for 6 months, but I could not get a solid code to come up and it was only sporatic. Finally one of the coils finally gave out on a 50 mile trip. The car ran really bad which it actually was only running on 6 of the 8 cylinders. When I arrived at my destination smoke was rolling out from under the hood and I could smell plastic burning. Smoke finally cleared and I had it towed home. I did a power balance test and the bad coil finally showed up. Long story short I replaced the bad coil in the pack and all was well. I do not know how much longer I could have went before it would have ignited something else. My guess is a coil shorted out and caught something around it on fire.

Congratulations on getting it back together!!!

thanks paul,,i got everything together started it and found the exhaust pipe glowing red,,i think thats what caused the fire on this one,,he probly didnt know and drove it to hot and melted the plasic on the firewall and it ran up and melted everything plasic

Archived