CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1999 Seville Power Steering Problem

Hi everybody

Since yesterday i have the follwing problem:

As I drove in reverse, I turned the steering wheel all the way to the left and afterwards:

Now when I want to turn left or steer left it is very hard.

Turning to the right is no problem while driving.

If the car is standing if I turn all the way to the right there is no problem, but when i turn (try) the steering wheel back to the left it is hard all the time.

Power steering fluid level is ok and no oil leak.

There are no codes stored in history or current exept AMP 1064.

Does anybody know what happened?

Thanks for your help.

Tom

I'd fathom a guess (an educated one) that you blew an internal seal in the rack, and now it's bypassing.

Rule out a mechanical binding on something first of course, but that's what it sounds like, from the way you described it.

I second that guess, With speed proportion steering, and other steering features it has to move alot of pressure through very small lines. But just for the hell of it. Support the rear end and jack up he front of the car to lett the wheels hang and turn the wheel left and right and feel for anything different

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Thank you for your responses.

Is it possible that the power steering pump is involved in my problem?

I have the feeling that the power steering pump is louder than before; it sounds more like the pump has to work harder (even without actually steering).

Thanks

Tom

Is it possible that the power steering pump is involved in my problem?

No - the fluid under pressure just leaves the pump via one line, and heads for the rack where it divides internally.

If it was the pump, you wouldn't have power assist in either direction.

Thank you for the response.

I thought the same, but I appreciate the confirmation.

Two more questions:

Is the Tool J-42640 (Steering PIN) necessary as described in the book?

The factory estimated time for replacing the rack is 2 hours, but i also have to lower the engine frame.

Does the 2 hours sound realistic to you (add 0.7 hours for the steering alignment)?

Thanks

Tom

The factory estimated time for replacing the rack is 2 hours, but i also have to lower the engine frame.

Does the 2 hours sound realistic to you (add 0.7 hours for the steering alignment)?

The tool is to stop the wheel from being able to move, and kill the spring.

Personally? I'm just going to wrap a bungi cord around the wheel, and hook it onto the shifter!

Time wise... those estimates are on new cars, done by GM techs, in a shop, on a hoist, with GM tools... bla bla bla....

Real time? I'll let you know in a few days when I pull MINE out! :)

The tool is to stop the wheel from being able to move, and kill the spring.

Personally? I'm just going to wrap a bungi cord around the wheel, and hook it onto the shifter!

Time wise... those estimates are on new cars, done by GM techs, in a shop, on a hoist, with GM tools... bla bla bla....

Real time? I'll let you know in a few days when I pull MINE out! :)

I have never actually tied the wheel. I just find out where the best access to remove the pinch bolt is and shut the key off and lock the column. Never had any problems

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

• 1 month later...

Any news how long or how to replace it quick?

I will replace the rack today.

Oops! Forgot to get back to you...

I posted about MY replacement, with a bunch of hints & tips.

My link

Wasn't that painful overall.

Just give yourself some room on the sides, and have a helper around who doesn't mind getting dirty.

I was already on the way to do it as you wrote:

So I did it and now I am happy to have again a car with a very well running steering.

I will write more later, then I am tired as mutch as I can.

Tom

Archived