CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Starting Disabled

Emery

Having no start condition with my 96 sts. Anyone know of a way to override. I want to confirm that the switch is bad before buying another. I've WD-40'ed it, contact cleaned and checked fuses. Any help on a quick and/or cheap fix would be appreciated.

message-starting disabled/due to theft system/remove ignition key

"Quick and cheap" ..Hmm..sounds like the resistor pellet on your key may have opened, or cracked, changing the resistance the security system is calibrated for?...Got an extra key for that car?

Another Q&C..try moving the gear lever in and out of park, 'wiggle' it in park ,and try again. Sometimes the PRNDL switch becomes intermittent, locking the start signal out.

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

Having no start condition with my 96 sts. Anyone know of a way to override. I want to confirm that the switch is bad before buying another. I've WD-40'ed it, contact cleaned and checked fuses. Any help on a quick and/or cheap fix would be appreciated.

Does you key have the pellet in it?

If I remember correctly it has the resistor in the ignition switch. If not you can try and fix this yourself if you feel comfortable playing with wires under the dash.

You can disable it altogether if you want. Let me know, I'll post how (it's good for remote starting too)

What diagnostic codes are stored? That will provide a clue as to where to begin troubleshooting.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

• 4 years later...

Does you key have the pellet in it?

If I remember correctly it has the resistor in the ignition switch. If not you can try and fix this yourself if you feel comfortable playing with wires under the dash.

You can disable it altogether if you want. Let me know, I'll post how (it's good for remote starting too)

Hello!

My car has the same problem and to be honest yuor solution with disalble this ystem semm ot me very good.

could you describe what should I do for this

Thanks a lot Alex

I had a 95 chevy Lumina.

When the Pass-Key system failed it would start in Nuetral.

In your case it was most likely not the pass key but rather neutral safety switch.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Archived