CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

GS400 wheels on my STS

Cadillac STS

A good friend of mine is selling his 17-inch Lexus GS400 rims. They absolutely look awesome for stock wheels. And not only do they look good he has brand new tires, Japanese imported tires, which did cost him a grip. Well he plans on getting new wheels and tire all together, and I offered to buy them from him and agreed on $500. A great price because they can go anywhere from $500-$600 dollars w/out tries on Ebay and other retail stores.

Big problem though, his wheel bolt patter is 114.3 where is mine are the familiar 115...will his 5 lug wheels still fit on my car? i mean .7? isnt very noticable but just making sure..any ideas?

Cadillac STS,

If you search the archives you will find some discussion on the different bolt patterns. I cannot remember what the final conclusion was, but I THINK it was advised not to swap bolt patterns. It may not be evident when you bolt up the wheels, but after putting some miles on them, you may find damaged wheels!

Just my 2 sense <_<

Hello:

The only 'risk' is if your vehicle will still ride smooth or not.

It's going to be close. You can probably bolt them on but you risk a shimmy/wobble, so you have to torque down slowly and in the correct torqueing pattern (known to anybody who puts wheels on/off cars). You're in luck that 1) he's local 2) he's a friend and 3) they're used. You can 'try them out' by putting them on your car. If they don't wobble (as in - the car rides smooth at 45 mph) - well there you go. If they do - then no sale.

Let us know how you make out.

Cardio-Doc

"Largest Seller of Cadillac Wheels and Wheel Accessories on eBay"

Wow, 114.3mm?!? That is strange if you think about it... Here we have US built cars and they have a metric bolt-circle, and the Japanese have a 4.5" (converted) bolt-circle! :o

In my opinion, I would be a little worried about it, in regards to the lug nuts not actually seating evenly in the chamfers of the holes. This is where you may run into a problem with the nuts working their way loose over time, as well as causing undue side-stress on the lugs themselves... I know .028" doesn't seem like much, but those hardened lugs aren't meant to be pushed/pulled at any degree.

Having a wheel fly off your vehicle while driving is not very desirable, trust me on that! Back in the days of unilug mags (the ones with sloted holes and oblong washers to fit your pattern) I experienced this sad feeling while tooling down the road in my 73 Firebird. The rear wheel passed me up as I skidded to a stop on the brake drum! :blink: Didn't give me but a couple seconds warning of vibration before it snapped of the lugs and departed company... :unsure:

'09 Cadillac CTS-4 3.6 direct injection, 128 K mi.
'15 Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 5.3i V8, 125 K mi
'70 Firebird Formula 400, Bored+.04, RAIII heads, M21 4spd., in-process restoration!

I think I may have hit your post by mistake. On site currently is a Troll. Basically a troublemaker. He is using the name cadillac_sts or something of that nature.

Sorry, please ignore.

Well the rims that he was going to purchase were already sold, so hat means no GS wheels for me to buy, sadly.

Thanks tough for all the input guys, honestly I was kinda worried about the log term effect it would have and the amount of stress induced to the wheels and studs.

Maybe i should look for the 04 CTS 17s?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=7921983542

thanks,

~Doc

cardio-doc...

When it comes to Caddy wheels and covers - " he the man".

In any case, he was kind enough to comment on the technical and asthetics of of a wheel and center cover combination I had - when not even bought from him.

I have yet to hear of a problem with deals from him on Ebay and I've never been a customer. . . yet.

17" CTS wheels...sweet ;)

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

Cardio-doc hooked me up with a set of those wheels, in the polished finished.

The first day I put them on, I could not take my eyes off the car!

Those wheels are a perfect complement to an STS like yours.

I will post some pics of mine, if I can get ahold of my buddies digital camera.

" ...'took my Cobra down t' the track, hitched to the back o' my Cadillac..."

- Jan & Dean, 'hey little cobra'

Scott

Cardio-doc hooked me up with a set of those wheels, in the polished finished.

The first day I put them on, I could not take my eyes off the car!

Those wheels are a perfect complement to an STS like yours.

I will post some pics of mine, if I can get ahold of my buddies digital camera.

please post your pictures! i want to get an idea of how they would look on our STs'..BTW i bid and lost..lol so are you going to let the wheels goa t that price Cardio doc?

Cadillac STS,

My friend is going to let me borrow his digital camera for the weekend, so I'll get some pics up for you to see.

I have been meaning to get some pics of my car for everyone to see for some time. I just never got around to it. You just gave me a good reason to do so!

" ...'took my Cobra down t' the track, hitched to the back o' my Cadillac..."

- Jan & Dean, 'hey little cobra'

Scott

Archived