CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

WATERPUMP WILL NOT RELEASE

Hi guys, I have a very bad problem that i really need help with.My waterpump went out this weekend, so a bought all the parts and the tool to remove the pump as well.After pulling everything apart to get to the waterpump.I used the tool to remove the pump, (heres where the plot thickens) the tool keeps jumping off of the pump.( it will not lock on to it) so upon futher inspection it looks like the pump is turned all the way instead of 1/4 of an inch counter clockwise. So i called my friend over to help he took apart the waterpump so he can see what was really going on inside the housing. We tried to use the tool again since we had a clear view of the ears and the tool still will not lock on to the pump.HELP HELP what should i do next

The pump cartridge cannot be "turned all the way" and you will see why not when the old cartridge is removed.

Try this: rig a way to prevent the tool from backing out under torque. Maybe pressing the tool hard against the cartridge with two hands (or something) while a helper uses a brief burst with an impact wrench. Sounds like you are battling a corroded contact point.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Rotate your waterpump tool a little and try again, keep doing this untill it works. I just got done replacing my waterpump last night and this is what I had to do plus use a breaker bar. Dont forget to replace your belt while your in there.

ok well do, i can tell you this. My friend from Cadillac just left and he was amazed at what he saw, when he looked at the waterpump.He said the pump was turned by an impact wrench. he said the pump is turned counter clockwise far to much....

Then it should fall out, if its turned clockwise then there is nothing holding it in. All you have to do is turn it a 1/2 inch to an inch clockwise to release it. Is your belt released?

Rotate your waterpump tool a little and try again, keep doing this untill it works. I just got done replacing my waterpump last night and this is what I had to do plus use a breaker bar. Dont forget to replace your belt while your in there.

I agree with this, put the tool on the new pump, see how the teeth engage and FIND the same place on the installed pump, the tool only fits the pump in a certain position.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

ok guys heres the new new, the pump is over way to much counter clockwise,the teeth on the old waterpump will not grab the extraction tool correctly. tried every way to sun down and still the same results

The waterpump can only be turned counter clockwise so far before it is seated or locked in.

What kind of tool do you have and where did you get it. It sounds like you might have a tool issue, there are cheap knock offs out there that seldom work.

The waterpump can only be turned counter clockwise so far before it is seated or locked in.

What kind of tool do you have and where did you get it. It sounds like you might have a tool issue, there are cheap knock offs out there that seldom work.

Bruce Nunally, board administrator, used to have the factory recommended heavy gauge pump tool for rent. Send him a message.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Bruce Nunally, board administrator, used to have the factory recommended heavy gauge pump tool for rent. Send him a message.

I just finished my head job on my 99 deville what a nightmare!!!! I wrok at OREILLY'S and used a KD tool and just about chipped all teeth out of tool, so I sprayed PB Blaster all over inside and outside water pump, then next day made sure all tits were lined up and used a 1/2 breaker bar and pushed and turned with all I had and finally came loose. New one went in like a breeze. hope this helps!!!!!

The cheap tools are stamped steel. The good ones (KD, Snapon, Mac) are machined. Newer versions come with a steel "strap" that is bolted one over the tool to prevent it from slipping off. A few short burst from an impact will usually free up a stubborn pump.

Archived