CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Cruise control won't work

I own a 2001 Deville and recently when I try to use the cruise control, the light shows up the dash but the cruise control itself won't work. I haven't checked any fuses yet but hope someone will give me some idea where to go from here. Every time I take it to the dealer, I walk away with a huge bill so would like to take care of this myself if I can. Thanks for your help.

While you are at it...check the brake light switch...

I checked the codes and none were found. However when I test drove the car and lifted the brake pedal with my left foot, the cruise did set and held the speed even when I took my foot away. Is there a simple adjustment on the pedal or brake light switch or will the switch need to be replaced? If so, what is involved and is this something that I can do myself? Thanks for your help so far.

Easy enough to do. In fact it will take me longer to type this than it would for me to do the adjustment.

Remove the bottom trim panel centered on the steering column for access (two screws).

There will be two switches mounted on the brake pedal support bracket. They can be removed by rotating the switch body 1/4 turn CCW. Install the switch by simply pushing the barrel of the switch straight in.

The adjustment part involves getting the switch barrel at the approriate depth so the switch plunger makes contact with the brake pedal arm and positions the plunger such that the switch senses the brakes are not applied.

Someone to tell you if the brake lights are ON would be a big help.

I like to set mine up such that I can disengage cruise control with a very light tap on the brake pedal without actually applying any brake pressure.

Good luck....

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Easy enough to do. In fact it will take me longer to type this than it would for me to do the adjustment.

Remove the bottom trim panel centered on the steering column for access (two screws).

There will be two switches mounted on the brake pedal support bracket. They can be removed by rotating the switch body 1/4 turn CCW. Install the switch by simply pushing the barrel of the switch straight in.

The adjustment part involves getting the switch barrel at the approriate depth so the switch plunger makes contact with the brake pedal arm and positions the plunger such that the switch senses the brakes are not applied.

Someone to tell you if the brake lights are ON would be a big help.

I like to set mine up such that I can disengage cruise control with a very light tap on the brake pedal without actually applying any brake pressure.

Good luck....

Jim: I have found the two switches o.k. but could you tell me which one (top switch or bottom switch) operates the cruise control? I don't want to mess with the wrong one and make things worse.

Thanks, Norm

Jim: Since I didn't hear back from you yet, I took a gamble and reset the lower switch by moving it toward the back of the brake pedal about 1/16 of an inch. Took it for a test drive and Viola, the cruise control works fine again. Thanks for your help. It probably saved me at least a hundred dollars had I taken it to the dealer. This is a great site. Thanks so much. Norm

All's well that ends well. It could have been either switch; they both send signals to the cruise module (as well as other places).

Is the bottom switch the one with two wires and a gray connector? I'd like to make a note in my Service Manual.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Nice! Norm consider joining as a supporting member now that you see the value of this site... Mike

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Archived