CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

aluminum wheels

tom karen

Just bought a set of aluminum wheels from cardio doc.

Someone in a previous post warned against using clip on wheel weights on theese wheels. and I am wondering what the alternative is.

Also any tips on care would be of use before I have them installed.

Thanks much to all.

Caustic chemicals, like those found in products such as Westley's Wheel Brite, which is a product for cleaning tires, should NEVER be used on a tire that's mounted on an aluminum wheel.

It will etch the wheel faster than you can say "jack frost".

Zymol makes two products specifically for the wheel and they are safe for ALL types of wheels: Zymol Wheel Cleaner-natural spray gel and Wheel Coat. You use the wheel cleaner by spraying it on the wheel and brushing it gently with a special brush that comes with the spray on gel. Afterwards, when the wheel is dry, you spray on Wheel Coat and just let it dry. Wheel Coat protects the wheel by creating a seal that provides a barrier against brake dust while making brake dust removal easier in the future.

Whatever product you use to clean the wheels, make sure it specifically says that it's safe for aluminum wheels. When in doubt, don't use it.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Caustic chemicals, like those found in products such as Westley's Wheel Brite, which is a product for cleaning tires, should NEVER be used on a tire that's mounted on an aluminum wheel.

Zymol makes two products specifically for the wheel and they are safe for ALL types of wheels: Zymol Wheel Cleaner-natural spray gel and Wheel Coat. You use the wheel cleaner by spraying it on the wheel and brushing it gently with a special brush that comes with the spray on gel. Afterwards, when the wheel is dry, you spray on Wheel Coat and just let it dry. Wheel Coat protects the wheel by creating a seal that provides a barrier against brake dust while making brake dust removal easier in the future.

Whatever product you use to clean the wheels, make sure it specifically says that it's safe for aluminum wheels. When in doubt, don't use it.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Marika,

I have used Westley's Bleach White for years and have never noticed any adverse effects on my aluminum wheels from it. "Bleach White" is a tire cleaner also. Are we talking about the same product here?

Just bought a set of aluminum wheels from cardio doc.

Someone in a previous post warned against using clip on wheel weights on theese wheels. and I am wondering what the alternative is.

The proper method for balancing and using wieghts on alloy wheels is the flat self adhesive type going on the inside of the wheel.

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

Marika,

I have used Westley's Bleach White for years and have never noticed any adverse effects on my aluminum wheels from it. "Bleach White" is a tire cleaner also. Are we talking about the same product here?

Wheel Brite is NOT the same product as Bleach White (Bleche-White®). Same company, two different products.

Wheel Brite is for the wheel and I believe has a new name of Espree® Ultra Wheel Magic. Bleach White is for the tire.

http://www.westleys.com

At the website, they claim that Espree is safe for all wheel types. Personally, I'll stick with the Zymol products.

I think the key here is to clean with the chemical of your choice, be conservative in the application, and wash it off promptly. I've used both Westley's Bleach White and Purple Power to clean the tires on my Cadillac with good results. True -- if you let it sit there, it'll start to eat, but it's powerful stuff and should be treated as such. I personally feel that if something is "soft" enough that you can let it set there forever with no damage, it's probably not strong enough to properly clean. But then again, as long as the piece is cleaned often enough, anything on there is easy to clean off (like brake dust).

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

The proper method for balancing and using wieghts on alloy wheels is the flat self adhesive type going on the inside of the wheel.

I've used "stick on" wheel weights for many years. They work great.

A lot of tire shops won't use them claiming they won't stay on. This is not true if they are installed properly.

The area where the weight is applied MUST be clean. Free of dirt, grease, etc.

Barry

2008 STS V8
2016 Colorado Z71
1970 Corvette LT-1 Coupe

But then again, as long as the piece is cleaned often enough, anything on there is easy to clean off (like brake dust).

I wanted to add that I don't use anything on the wheel surface itself on my car. I use the Purple Power or Bleach White on the tires with a stiff brush, and wash the rest of the car, and when I'm done, I just take some Windex and paper towels to the chrome surface. I do this on both of my vehicles with great results. The Cadillac is chrome over aluminum and the Nissan is chrome over steel.

Just scrub up the alum wheels real good every time you wash the car with a towel or soft scrub brush I just use car soap and it worked good on the devilles I had with alum. wheels. The chrome wheels are much easier to clean again I just use car wash soap. The dealer I go to uses acid on the wheels and all the wheels on his lot the wheels just sparkle I don't know what the acid is but the wheels sure do look good! One day when I'm at the dealer I will ask one of the porters what it is.On The tires I use weatleys tire bleach tire cleaner and then put some dressing on them.I stay away from the spray on wheel cleaners because the ones I used turned the tires actually browm where it ran down from the wheels..

Good Luck with some trial and error you will figure out what works for you.

Cheers

Jim

Have you guys found a silicone-free tire dressing on the store shelves anywhere? The only place I've found it is Griot's Garage, and I've never gotten around to ordering it. I've just been using the Formula 2001 rubber dressing, but I'd prefer to use a silicone-free dressing if I could find it locally.

Thanks,

Have you guys found a silicone-free tire dressing on the store shelves anywhere? The only place I've found it is Griot's Garage, and I've never gotten around to ordering it. I've just been using the Formula 2001 rubber dressing, but I'd prefer to use a silicone-free dressing if I could find it locally.

Thanks,

Zymol's tire treatment (Tyre™ Preserve Concentrate) is silicone free. It doesn't leave that wet, greasy look on the tires and it doesn't splash all over your wheel wells and fenders either when you drive. It gives the tires a soft, CLEAN glow and naturally, it enhances the blackness of the tire.

http://www.zymol.com/tyre2.htm

If you don't want to order from Zymol through their website, contact them to find the nearest distributor to you but ordering from them direct gives you discounts on their items and you get them fast.

Archived