CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

No one wants to race

DJG

I recently changed jobs and gave up the company issued Durango and purchased a 1997 STS. What an absolute joy to drive!!! Why did I wait so long to own a car this much fun to drive? Now of course, I have the bug!! I have read many of the suggested posts in order to restore the performance as the car had around 100K miles when I obtained it and she ran pretty rough. Now it is running very well and I want to see how she does. Unfortunately, I have found virtually no one to compete against and I have been looking for many weeks. Has anyone else run into this? It doesn't matter if the other car is a Mustang, an Acura, Lexus or others. Any suggestions or is this now the norm.

Well, one reason might be fear of tickets and what they can do to your insurance premiums; but, more realisticly, it may because of the STS's reputation! Not just every car is in its league and would have a chance.

Well, one reason might be fear of tickets and what they can do to your insurance premiums; but, more realisticly, it may because of the STS's reputation! Not just every car is in its league and would have a chance.

Please do not misunderstand, I am not talking about driving 120 mph down a highway. I am simply meaning from stop light to stop light, more of a race of quickness.

It is my experiance that people do not really associate Cadillac (pre-2004) cars to be racers... The sterotype seems to be "old people's luxury car" Or a getto ride...

Not to affend anyone, not even my opinion, that is just what it seems ya know?

I like to think of my Caddy as a sleeper, mess with me, you just may loose... I rarley look for trouble... of course I have replaced my engine :D

i dont know about all of your cities but down here in south florida, if you get caught racing, you get a 3rd degree misdemeanor and go straight to jail as well as watch your car get towed away on the spot, believe me people down here dont race stoplight to stoplight anymore, aside from very few exceptions the majority of racing has gone into sneaking around on aligator ave or somewhere where they cant get caught... Are the laws the same over there?

Wow I used to live in south florida and it was like a $60 drag racing ticket ( as long as you pulled over right away ). What the hell happened? :) That totally takes the fun out of it.

In Washington state, racing is considering "reckless driving" which is a criminal misdemeanor, not merely a traffic ticket. A conviction for this stays on your record and would have a severe effect on your insurance rates.

I should know as I work in a city prosecutor's office and we see these types of cases quite often. It's definitely a balance between a short term thrill and a long term expense.

I live in So. Florida as well and even with the harsh fines and jail time they still are very willing to hook it up. I've posted about this before, when your driving down the interstate 75 or 80 mph and are passed by a motorcycle on the rear wheel it's time to get the hell out of the way. This kind of stuff is senseless.

sebring06RTP.jpg

That totally takes the fun out of it.

I think that was the intent.

The intent was to take the DANGER off the streets. If you can't have fun driving by yourself, you're in the wrong business...or at least driving the wrong car. :)

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Why have a 300 hp 32v Northstar engine if you dont use it. You can drive safe and still drive fast!!

Yes, I completely agree. My point was, if you need to race someone to have fun, you need to be off the streets.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I recently changed jobs and gave up the company issued Durango and purchased a 1997 STS. What an absolute joy to drive!!! Why did I wait so long to own a car this much fun to drive? Now of course, I have the bug!! I have read many of the suggested posts in order to restore the performance as the car had around 100K miles when I obtained it and she ran pretty rough. Now it is running very well and I want to see how she does. Unfortunately, I have found virtually no one to compete against and I have been looking for many weeks. Has anyone else run into this? It doesn't matter if the other car is a Mustang, an Acura, Lexus or others. Any suggestions or is this now the norm.

Ah! Pesky grownups. They're no fun at all.

Archived