CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Hi all, just joined and am seeking some information. I am a long time Ford guy and have had excellent results and still own several Ford products. Lincoln has nothing for me and I'm really looking at a 2007 DTS luxury 1(I think). My question is what are some things I should look for and or be aware of? I am a little concerned reading about some headgasket/ block thread issues. I've owned a Lincoln Mark VIII 4.6 DOHC (all aluminum) and drove the piss out of it for 200K with out an issue. The DTS in question has 67K miles on it and will be driven 120 to 150 miles 5 days a week. Having rented a Buick Lucerne, and driving my aunts Caddy have led me to the DTS. I think the DTS is the quietest car I've driven to date. Anyway thanks in advance for any and all info.

....I am a little concerned reading about some headgasket/ block thread issues.
I'll bet you can visit car boards for any brand engine you can identify and read about what owners consider to be early failure of fill-in-the-blank parts. Cadillac Northstar powertrains included.

Most of the Internet whining regarding Northstar head gasket and block bolt hole failures would be inadmissable in a court of law (hearsay). But the court of public opinion has a different set of rules regarding evidence.

....Anyway thanks in advance for any and all info.
If you are not familiar with what to look for, hire someone with extensive Cadillac experience to inspect the vehicle. And be sure the inspection includes a test for combustion byproducts in the cooling system.

Happy motoring.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Okay, let me explain some more. I am a mechanic by trade. I am specifically interested in KNOWN issues with Northstar/ Cadillac's in this model that I should be aware of or to look for SPECIFIC to this car. I know ANY brand will have issues on any forum. Like 6.8L v-10 Fords blowing spark plugs out of the heads. It is an issue but very few have the problem and it at times is mechanic induced. I wouldn't give up my v-10 up for anything. It's like anything else; lack of maintenance it will fail. I've heard of oil leak issues with some years of Northstar motors due to 2 or 3 piece blocks. I do NOT know if this is true and if it is which years have this issue. Again I'm not interested in the occasional heated seat issue or power mirror failure. I'm looking for the inside scoop from Cadillac enthusiast's to look out for. I am in no way here to bash brands or get into brand wars, I just like the car and would like to be informed some.

Thank's

I have a 2006 DTS.

It has 85,000 miles on it.

There are "NO" oil leaks or seeps...at least not that I am aware of.. :)

The head bolt problem was addressed in 2000 and again in 2004.

The 2004 fix has basically eliminated the head gasket issue.

I have had -0- engine / driveline problems with it.

I don't baby it around and I don't abuse it... but I do "DRIVE" it.

Probably harder than "MOST" Cadillac drivers.

I did have a few electrical glitches when it was new...but they were all taken care of by my dealer.

For the last 60,000 miles, I have basically put gas in it, changed the oil a few times and just enjoyed the heck out of it.

I am on another DTS board and I have not seen any trends of things wrong with the DTS.

The 2007 was just voted the MOST RELIABLE three year old car by JD Powers.

Posted Image

I have a 2006 DTS.

It has 85,000 miles on it.

There are "NO" oil leaks or seeps...at least not that I am aware of.. :)

The head bolt problem was addressed in 2000 and again in 2004.

The 2004 fix has basically eliminated the head gasket issue.

I have had -0- engine / driveline problems with it.

I don't baby it around and I don't abuse it... but I do "DRIVE" it.

Probably harder than "MOST" Cadillac drivers.

I did have a few electrical glitches when it was new...but they were all taken care of by my dealer.

For the last 60,000 miles, I have basically put gas in it, changed the oil a few times and just enjoyed the heck out of it.

I am on another DTS board and I have not seen any trends of things wrong with the DTS.

The 2007 was just voted the MOST RELIABLE three year old car by JD Powers.

To all, thank you for the replies. Texasjim the 2004 fix was what I wanted to know, thank you. Also I very much like your DTS :D . What did they do for the 2004 fix? Just courious.

• 2 weeks later...

well guys due to the help and advice from you all I am now a proud owner of the '07 DTS I was inquiring about. Man I love this car!! I'm having fun and getting quite the lesson from learning all the features of this thing. The only options this car does not have that I can tell is the adaptive cruise control and the car next to you warning system. Other then those two I think it's got it all. Should be a luxury 2 or 3 right? I love the seat massagers!!!! Thanks' again guys!! :yupi3ti:

well guys due to the help and advice from you all I am now a proud owner of the '07 DTS I was inquiring about. Man I love this car!! I'm having fun and getting quite the lesson from learning all the features of this thing. The only options this car does not have that I can tell is the adaptive cruise control and the car next to you warning system. Other then those two I think it's got it all. Should be a luxury 2 or 3 right? I love the seat massagers!!!! Thanks' again guys!! :yupi3ti:

Does it have the power tilt and telescoping steering wheel?

I assume it also has the Air Conditioned seats?

Does it have 17 inch or 18 inch wheels?

Posted Image

Yes, Yes, and 17 inch wheels.

Looks like you have the Luxury lll version.

The power tilt and telescope wheel was only available on the LUX lll and the Performance model.

The Performance model had 18 inch wheels and the LUX lll had 17 inch.

Those are VERY NICE automobiles... :hatsoff:

Post up a couple of pics when you get a chance. :)

If there is anything I can help you with... don't hesitate to ask.

Do you have the owners manuals?

Posted Image

Texas Jim thank you so much. I'm on my way to the airport and will be gone all weekend but will try to get pics up when I return. No I do not have the owners manuals, but did find it on line. I do have a question as I washed it last night and it appears the sunroof leaked. The right side A pillar fabric was wet. I had water puddled in that channel, but appeared it wasn't draining. I believe the sunroof was closed all the way and they detailed it about 2 hours befor I was there to pick it up and that pillar was not wet then. Man do I love this car though, you are right VERY NICE!!!!! :yupi3ti:

The right side A pillar fabric was wet. I had water puddled in that channel, but appeared it wasn't draining.

You need to clean out the drain. Usually gets clogged under the car at the exit point.

Thanks ranger, where abouts is the drain hose?

I had that problem with my 95 STS. I used some of those zip tie type lines from a weed whacker, and stuck it down the front holes at the top of the sunroof and that seemed to clean out the front drains.

The back holes on mine go to rubber lines, and the lines go down inside the trunk and into a rubber gasket in the bottom of the trunk floor that drains out the bottom of the car. If you go inside the trunk, up by where the back of the seat is, you'll be able to see the lines and where they go into the trunk floor.

Those gasket things come off and go back on really easy, it's a pretty simple matter to pull them off and clear the sand and pebbles and stuff that gets stuck in there.

I'm assuming yours are pretty similar, hope that description helps.

:welcomesmiley:

WARNING: I'm a total car newbie, don't be surprised if I ask a stupid question! Just trying to learn.

Cheers!

5% discount code at RockAuto.com - click here for your discount!

Archived