CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

My Dad picked up his DTS last night!

STS Scott

After weeks of clearing paperwork for my Dad's new car, we finally were able to pick it up last night. We live in Canada, however this Candy-Apple Red DTS would have been extremely hard to come by over here, so that is why we purchased it in Detroit (at Gooley Cadillac, in St. Clair Shores). My Dad saw one like it in Atlanta a few years ago, when we were on our way to Florida, and has been after one ever since.

The car is a 2001, and has everything except the Nav. System (which was a bummer for my Dad...he just thinks the screen is cool... a far cry from the "exciting round radio" in the 55 Ford that he had when growing up!).

As I said, it is Candy-Apple Red, and has the light tan interior.

What blows me away about the car, is how much of a step up it is from our 95 STS. I mean, the Seville seems like a raspy, unrefined brute of a car, relative to the vault-like solidity, and silky-smoothness of this newer DTS. However, dispite saying this, the STS is by far the Hot Rod of the two. My Dad and I agree that the DTS's power feels more like driving his Aurora (i.e. doggish) than the 300 hp performer it is supposed to be. Now I realize that it is a heavier car, but I have street-raced a DTS before with the Seville, and although I pulled ahead, it was very close, which would lead me to believe that maybe my Dad's DTS has regular fuel in it, or something. (by the way, my Dad was definetly not pleased by the dealer service... the used car salesman was a jerk, and the car only had a quarter tank of fuel in it when we left the dealer!)

On a more positive note, the quality and features of the interior have my Dad, Mom and me giddy with excitment. I mean, I can't wait for my Dad to get home from work, just so I can see the car again (and I can't WAIT to detail it...those half-assed dealer details just screw everthing up!). My Mom (and Girlfriend) love those infinitly adjustable heated massaging seats, I love the thumpin' Bose sound system, and well, My Dad just loves the whole car!

Needless to say, this is one amazing automobile! The next step to take is to deal with the tires. Just as he did with the Aurora, he will shod the DTS with some Vogues (that one he saw in Atlanta had them too), and then I will recieve the outgoing blackwalls, to be wrapped around my 17" CTS rims, and mounted to the STS. What a way to work out, eh? Free tires for me, I get my rims on the STS, oh, and almost forgot... WE HAVE ONE AWESOME NEW CAR!

" ...'took my Cobra down t' the track, hitched to the back o' my Cadillac..."

- Jan & Dean, 'hey little cobra'

Scott

What blows me away about the car, is how much of a step up it is from our 95 STS. I mean, the Seville seems like a raspy, unrefined brute of a car, relative to the vault-like solidity, and silky-smoothness of this newer DTS. However, dispite saying this, the STS is by far the Hot Rod of the two. My Dad and I agree that the DTS's power feels more like driving his Aurora (i.e. doggish) than the 300 hp performer it is supposed to be.

Congratulations on the new purchase! I rented an '04 Deville some time ago, and I made the exact same comparison between my '97 Seville and the Deville. The Seville is so much more...visceral...so much more involving. The engine noise, the compactness. The Deville just floats you down the road in complete serenity. Two very different cars from the same car company. I'd love to own both! :)

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

STS Scott: I think you should send your message to Cadillac. You wrote about the new car so glowingly they might hire you to write advertising copy!!!!

Congratulations on the new DTS and I hope the whole family enjoys it in good health.

By the way, that's CRIMSON PEARL, not Candy Apple Red! For a new car, that's a $995 option!

Hmmm. I think he has the Crimson red. I get a lot of comments on mine. Rare. Its the perfect color for this car. Blows the pearls away.

And mines fake.......

http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/376867...89_fake_008.jpg

post-3-1093664780.jpg

Hmmm. I think he has the Crimson red. I get a lot of comments on mine. Rare. Its the perfect color for this car. Blows the pearls away.

Logan, I think your colour is Cabernet.

Thanks for all the responses guys!

Today we will be taking it on its first trip. It is only a 3 hour leg to Toronto, but it will be good to get aquainted with the car.

My Dad is still marveling over the car...he seems to find a new feature he likes everyday!

Unfortunately, it has been raining here since the night we picked it up, so I have not had a chance to detail it, which I can't wait to do, to remove that "dealer candy coating" that only looks good for one day.

Chow!

" ...'took my Cobra down t' the track, hitched to the back o' my Cadillac..."

- Jan & Dean, 'hey little cobra'

Scott

The Deville just floats you down the road in complete serenity.

I think the floating sensation must be a DeVille thing. When I got my eldorado last year, although it drives smoother than most cars, it was nothing like the "floating" feeling I got in my old DeVille. One time in my old Deville I had a friend descibe it as "Floating on air."

-dave B)

Crystal Red Tintcoat Exterior | Shale/Brownstone Interior | 32k

I think the floating sensation must be a DeVille thing.

Yeah it is. And I didn't mean "float" as in bobbing suspension...rather total isolation. Getting out of that '04 Deville into my '97 Seville, my SLS felt like a race car...not that the Deville was slow...just that you couldn't feel anything.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Archived