CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

GPS system for use in Car

Marika

If this is off topic I apologize but I'm in need of some suggestions.

Can anyone recommend a very good GPS system that I can use in my car?

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

You might try Garmin. They make a lot of different models of portable GPS units.

A bud at work has one with the software that will zoom down to the two tracks - we took it snowmobiling one day about three weeks ago and had a blast running the two-tracks and the fields - the snow was 2+ feet deep and we were the only ones out there.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I have a Toshiba e740 PocketPC and an Ambicom CF-GPS card.

There is a mount under the ashtray for it and the Ambicom comes complete with an external antenna that I ran around the dashboard to the center of the windshield.

It works like a charm and has functionality that a stand-alone GPS unit doesn't, It is a PDA and you are not limited to using only the software/maps that come with GPS-only units.

I recommend Mapopolis for the GPS/Navagation software.

I recommend going to Gpspassion and looking around for what fits you best

P.S. If any of you newer Caddy owners have heated windshields, GPS wont work too well if at all in the car.

Go for a Garmin. They have a great model called the Street Pilot 2610, which gives you even better detail than the GPS's found in all the new cars. Plus they have some smaller units which can carried with you when your hiking, fishing or anything else. Garmin is the way to go.

"Cadillac, it's not a car, it's an obsession"

-W.Kingdon

It works like a charm and has functionality that a stand-alone GPS unit doesn't, It is a PDA and you are not limited to using only the software/maps that come with GPS-only units.

up2ng, Thanks for all the information on GPS, I have need looking to use my Dell Axim as a GPS unit and you just helped me greatly! Thanks, Mike

DeLorme Streets and Maps is great software for a laptop and you can get it with their Earthmate GPS module thats USB powered. You probably want to get an adapter for your laptop to plug it into your cars outlet, as this will keep you from being dependant on your laptops short battery life. I travel all over the US (including NYC) and this software has always gotten me there!

I checked out the DeLorme Earthmate GPS and the new 2004 software that goes with it. $130. list price for both is not bad. I read a lot of good reviews about it too.

I like Garmin, but they are a bit too pricey for me and their map updates are very expensive. The DeLorme looks like it might do the trick with my lap top computer and their map updates are reasonably priced.

Anyone else find this to be the case?

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

I have personally used the $130 earthmate package with my laptop. works really good - and the software is great - I would say even better than streets and trips. Anyway, a power-inverter is a must for long trips, I only get about 3 hours or so out of my laptop battery.

Crystal Red Tintcoat Exterior | Shale/Brownstone Interior | 32k

I have a Garmin Street Pilot III. It works great. It auto routes if you make a wrong turn, or don't like the route it has selected for you. It talks to you as you drive so you won't miss your turn. Garmin has a good web site where you can compare units and features and prices.

post-3-1076208402.jpg

Archived