CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

HVAC ODOR

mackaliceter

I have a '00 DHS which has a terrible dirty sock smell when in vent mode. When compressor is on there is no smell. Cabin filter appears fine. I have noticed that after driving the car in A/C mode for awhile and park it there is no condensation dripping. Should the condensation drip in front of pass. door on DHS's like all other cars? Maybe my condensation hose is stopped up?

I agree with franey and that's probably causing mildew growth which is what you are smelling. You may need to cut a hole in the air box where it says "cut here to service" and scrub the evaporator with a tooth brush and rinse it to get rid of the smell (after you open up the drain).

DO NOT use lysol (unless you like the smell of it). It will kill the mold and get rid of the smell, but you'll just trade one smell for another............. trust me ;)

I have a '00 DHS which has a terrible dirty sock smell when in vent mode. When compressor is on there is no smell. Cabin filter appears fine. I have noticed that after driving the car in A/C mode for awhile and park it there is no condensation dripping. Should the condensation drip in front of pass. door on DHS's like all other cars? Maybe my condensation hose is stopped up?

I agree on the danger of using Lysol. I don't like the smell of Lysol and would hate to get stuck with that. NO THANKS

The drain hose is A OK.

I guess I will have to live with it.

I never have the odor in A/C mode.

I have the odor intermittently in vent mode. I am still puzzled why I have never seen water dripping out??

You don't have to live with the stench.....If the drain hose is not clogged, you should see condensate draining when the air conditioning is in use. If you do not see condensate, the hose is probably plugged. Use a length of weed whacker line to unclog the drain.

GM sells a two-part chemical to disinfect evaporators. The two parts are mixed together and then a air/siphon gun is used to saturate the evaporator core. After letting the system sit for 10 minutes, flush with about a gallon of water using the air siphon gun.

The GM chemical is EXPENSIVE.... One of the components is chlorine bleach based on the smell and the other is a mold inhibitor I suspect. I have had success using a very weak solution of chloring bleach and water - about 4-5 parts water to one part bleach.

After you clean the evaporator core, enable the afterblow feature through diagnostics. The afterblow will run the blower motor for a predetermined time to dry out the core so the mold cannot come back.

If you are not comfortable doing this work, your dealer can perform the service. I would estimate one hour of labor at the dealer.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived