CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Charging Air Conditioning System

tomcad95

My 95 4.9 Deville needs it's system recharged. When I hit the auto button on the control

panel it states that the refrigerant is low and the compressor is off. In order to charge the

system I need to have the compressor on. If I disconnect the battery, it will reset the

message codes and the compressor should come on? Does any one know how long the compressor

will stay on before going off and how many psi should the system charge to.

Thanks

Using the OFF&WARMER Method, just clear the Code for the compressor. get the 134a charger connected to the system, and then turn the AC on. by the time the car get's time to detect the 134a is low, it would have already accepted the can, & the system will be charged. no need to bypass a sensor or anything else.

hey,you need to have the proper ac machine to vacume and then charge your ac system. your ac system has a thermaster [bad spelling] that tells the system whether or not there is enough freon in the loop to safely turn on the ac compresser

If your system has been open or is completely empty you should use a vacuum pump to evacuate the system It will pull it in a vacuum pulling out air and any moisture that is in the air. Moisture or air will not allow the system to properly function. Minium of 30 min, Add your first can to the low pressure side. Let as much go in as possible. I usually open the doors turn the system all the way cool and then start the engine. Try to add as close as possible the amount indicated on the decal somewhere in the engine compartment. Most systems have a low pressure switch and a high pressure switch, The 1st can should be enough to get it to turn on then just keep adding until you have added what is required, A shot of oil may not hurt either as usally you will lose some oil as well as freon. I have never tried the stuff with the sealer mixed in but that may help. Most likely not usually it is a leaking compresser seal. Sometimes leaks are indiacted by small traces of dust or dirt sticking to connections ect as the oil in the freon will attract dirt. I have seen guys make a homemade vacuum pump by pulling a compresser out of a old fidge or drinking fountian you probably rent or borrow one also.

If there is still refrigerant in the system, it will just require enough refrigerant to restore the system to a full charge. No need to use a vacuum pump. If the system is empty, or near empty, then it should be evacuated with a vacuum pump and recharged.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived