CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Think its doable? ;)

CustomGTP

Is anyone running with no A/C condensor/pulley? I am looking to run my 98 motor with no A/C condensor.. I'm pretty sure the idler pulley will work the same direction and I'll just in theory need a shorter belt...

Anyone? Or have input

thanx

you forum whore, i answered in the other one. lol -- ill post here too

I ran across some website where they were talking about it.. and using a larger crank pulley.. which slowed down all the other accesories. underpulley.

Which also slowed down the water pump and cooling system, said it gave them no trouble. id question the tolerance level of the GM engineers. I doubt this engine is at its peek potential, just enough to be reliable.

It could be done, for sure. my guess is maybe 18% HP increase?? random numbers heh

I ran across some website where they were talking about it.. and using a larger crank pulley.. which slowed down all the other accesories. underpulley.

Which also slowed down the water pump and cooling system, said it gave them no trouble. id question the tolerance level of the GM engineers. I doubt this engine is at its peek potential, just enough to be reliable.

Just to pick this nit, on a Northstar engine, installing underdrive pulleys will NOT slow down the water pump. The water pump is driven off the left side intake cam, and will always turn at engine speed (well, half engine speed I guess). Installing underdrive pulleys can have varying effects, but poor cooling would not be one of them on a Northstar. :D

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

ok guys I understand all of that BUT im not looking for an underdrive pulley. JUST the A/C delete. i know its not heavy but every little bit counts... I took out my ABS, A/C, and anything i dont want! I just wanna run the shorter belt. My water pump will be electric along with my brake booster. Inline water pump on the way!

this is why if you havent seen it

www.cardomain.com/id/94customGTP

I currently have my AC compressor bypassed as the hub bearing is seized. I used a 6K739... Mike

However the NEW GTO is quite impressive with 350 HP that was tested by our resident engineer. I know you said before that you want something unusual. I am looking forward however to see your results, good luck

http://www.pontiac.com/gto/index.jsp?brand...e&pagename=home

For some reason I really like the new GTO.

Interior's gorgeous, but I hate the dual exhaust at the one side.

Sounds awesome.

"Cadillac, it's not a car, it's an obsession"

-W.Kingdon

For some reason I really like the new GTO.

Interior's gorgeous, but I hate the dual exhaust at the one side.

At the risk of taking this thread in a whole new direction, I really like it as well. I read all over the place that the new Goat "doesn't do the old one justice", but man, as I understand it, the new one is EXACTLY what the old one is! The flavor of a muscle car is putting a big V8 engine into a plebian family car and that's exactly what the new Goat is. They say the styling is forgettable. Well, how many Tempests or Lemans (or whatever the original GTO was based on) did they make a year? Hundreds of thousands? The original Goat was built on a completely forgettable chassis too. That's what makes both eras of GTOs special. They're both complete sleepers, and I think the new one is fantastic -- and in the exact character of the old one.

My ONLY beef with it is ITS NOT AMERICAN. And to me thats a huge part of recreating a classic GM muscle car. Not slapping new badges on a foreign car... What BS... otherwise its a good look, plenty of power for stock, and sounds decent

ok ....exactly what is American anymore ?????????????? Even Caddy uses NAFTA now

This is a touchy discussion topic with me, because nothing is truly from one country anymore, and I think that's a fine thing. I get a hard time from my dad for owning a Nissan truck (even though he's owned three different Nissan Zs in his life), but they just bought a new Jeep...which is now owned by a German company. If you buy a Volvo, you're really buying a Ford. Subaru is 20% General Motors, and Saab is 100% GM. Now, the new Saab 9-2x is a Subaru WRX wagon with Saab badges...wonder how that happened. :) Or how 'bout the Isuzu Hombre and Ascender. Those are really GM vehicles with Isuzu badges on them. So what do you drive? A Chevy or an Isuzu? You can't buy anything anymore with your intention of keeping money on one side of the pond or the other.

I look at it completely differently -- I like a car for the car, not for the country of origin. Tell you what...if Honda had the Northstar engine and built the Seville in 1992, I'd still love the Seville, and I'd still drive it. I don't drive it because it's an American car. I drive it because I like it. I happen to like a lot of other Cadillacs, but they don't get my money that easy. They've got to build something I LIKE...I don't buy something just because of the brand or the country of origin.

GM is...

Suzuki (Japan) 1998 onwards Long-standing links with GM who bought a 3, then 10, then 20% stake

Isuzu (Japan) 1998 Long term alliance led to GM paying $420 m for business

Subaru (Japan - Fuji Heavy Industries) 1999 20% stake worth $1.5bn held in Subaru's parent company

Fiat Auto (Italy) 2000 20% stake bought for $2.4 bn

Daewoo Motor (S Korea) 2003 42% stake held by GM

In addition, GM bought Saab outright. It had previously owned 50% of the Swedish firm.

In addition....

GM makes alot of parts like lifters for Toyota....

GM buys alot of parts like window glass from Ford...

There is a chart that comes out once a year....its really amazing who is sleeping with who...

There is a chart that comes out once a year....its really amazing who is sleeping with who...

Logan -- amazing! Is that chart public info, or is it proprietary or some other type of "classified" document? Is that info available on the Internet somewhere? I'd love to see all the back and forth that goes on.

Well....havent found the chart yet. I think its Automotive News or Automotive Industries that prints the global chart.

I did find this.....suppliers for the new STS.....

http://www.autonews.com/page.cms?pageId=433

Archived