CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1995 cadillac sts

Jason15036

Hey thanks for all the replies and help that you guys have provided for me, anyways I need to know how to get the boot clamp off the of the cv joint boot so i can remove cv joints. If i remove the boot that is attached to the transmission will the cv joint just pull out or is there any other tricks.

Thank you very much, Jason

If I understand your question correctly, I believe the joint is one piece with the axle. If you are replacing the joint, you end up replacing the entire axle.

Also, there is a special machine that mechanics use to press the new boot back into the axle, covering the CV joint.

If someone has a '95 STS service manual, perhaps they can look up the information you need and perhaps post the pages.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

The Cv joint is not one piece. It can be seperated. You have to cut the clamp in the vicinity of the crimp as I recall. It's been a while but I think a large snap ring plier will be needed to seperate the joint. The boot just slides over the axle, no trick there. When replacing the boot clamp you need a special crimping tool to crimp the clamp (it is similar to a pair of pliers). All that said, it is much easier and cleaner though perhaps not cheaper to replace the entire unit. When I did it many years ago on two different GM vehicles I owned it was just to replace a ripped boot. Sure glad the boots are better quality today as it was a royal PITA.

I recommend the OEM style boots or complete axle half-shaft with the OEM style boot (molded thermoplastic) as many of the reman axle half-shafts have extremely soft boots that do not hold up.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

If it's not too late..... replace the drive axle, aka half-shaft. The whole thing costs very little more than on of the cv joints.....

And easier to replace. I have done both sides recently.

Archived