CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Lower Crank Case Seal

mikepconline

Hi Everyone,

I have a 94 Seville STS with 143,000 miles :D . I usually get must on my work done at the dealer . With the help of all of you, when I go to the dealer I have an ideal what’s going on. At my last visit (right side bearing replace) I ask them to check for an oil leak because I was smelling oil. They told me that I had to replace my lower crank case seal. Around $1,500.00 :huh: (the most of this is labor because they said that they would have to drop the transmission.)

Should I find a transmission shop do this since the transmission have to be drop and maybe I can save some money or should I let the deal do it?

Also should I rule out the crank shaft sensor could be leaking since the deal did not say nothing about it.

The leak is not bad but I’m sure it going to get worse.

Mike

Welcome Mike. Many times, the LCC seal is mis-diagnosed, even by the dealership. Since it's not warranty work, they do have incentive ($60/hr?) to get some work out of you. Many times, the problem is much simpler...maybe some leaking oil line o-rings or maybe even a leaking power steering system. I don't mean to imply that your dealer is dishonest (most are not), but a second opinion never hurts. Have someone (your dealer or independent shop) put some oil dye in so you can see exactly where the leak is occuring, with a black light. Even something like a worn seal on the oil drain plug can be very mis-leading (happened on my '97). Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Oh, and to tell you the truth, the leak is never very severe, if it is the LCC seal. Maybe a drop or two overnight, max. If you're getting more than that, I would highly suspect the leak is coming from somewhere else.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I seem to recall that Ian developed a procedure to do the repair with the engine in the car but the trans. out.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Thanks for the info. :)

I wish my dealer was only $60/hr :huh: they are $94/hr. :angry: (they all are around the Philadelphia, PA. area). I made an appointment for the 2nd of September. I’m going to let them do the dye with the black light to make sure.

The leak is more than a couple of drops.

If I accelerate real hard then get out and look under the car, I can see it dripping on the exhaust right at curve where it comes from the engine. Then it will stop in about 20 seconds.

I will let everyone know the out come.

Mike

Hi Everyone,

I have a 94 Seville STS with 143,000 miles :D . I usually get must on my work done at the dealer . With the help of all of you, when I go to the dealer I have an ideal what’s going on. At my last visit (right side bearing replace) I ask them to check for an oil leak because I was smelling oil. They told me that I had to replace my lower crank case seal. Around $1,500.00 :huh: (the most of this is labor because they said that they would have to drop the transmission.)

Should I find a transmission shop do this since the transmission have to be drop and maybe I can save some money or should I let the deal do it?

Also should I rule out the crank shaft sensor could be leaking since the deal did not say nothing about it.

Mike

If they are only charging you 1500 dollars, that's a smoking deal. We would charge closer to 2500 dollars and our dollar per hour rate is 96.00.

I would echo Jason's advice, make sure the leak is diagnosed properly. It's a lot of money to spend to discover that the leak was coming from some other location.

Ian

Archived