CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Upgrading Northstar Engine

96DeVille

I was wondering if there are any easy bolt on performance accessories that I can add to my 1996 Northstar to get more horses out of it, chips,filters,adjustments,etc. I also want it to run at its maximum potential. Has anyone installed a K&N filter on their car? I am thinking about putting one in and wondered if it really made a difference in performance. Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

I heard that Tornado Fuel Saver not only gives you 50% better gas mileage, but adds 30 HP! :)

From what I've read, K&N will only give you noticable difference in a full out drag race.

-Eric

There is some site that has performance chips, for a 100-200$. Can't think of the website though. Good Luck

Eric

93 Cad Seville 100K

95 Chev Blazer 143K [garaged summers] :)

96 Deville,

Calm down. Didn't you notice the smile after 30 hp. The tornado has been discussed many times. If you havn't seen it, it is a "snake oil" device that would make P.T. Barnum proud. It's a fan like device that installs in the intake and swirls the intake air :rolleyes: Usually sold on Sat. morning infomercials.

Bottom line is the factory got just about all that can be gotten out of the Northstar unless you want to go nitrous. K&N has also been discussed. General consensus is more noise and money but no proven performance increase though there are people who swear they can feel more performance.

I know this doesn't really answer your question but if the Northstar is pretty much optimized from the factory (as I hear on this site) then the next thing you need to add is Turbo/Super chargers and/or ... more cubes. I've always felt: " All things being equal ... there is no subsitution for cubic inches"

The other thing is ICO the Cadilliac, how much power can the FWD system handle?

Jim White

General consensus is more noise and money but no proven performance increase.

Please don't speak for the rest of us. Some of us like our K&N's. Saying that anything is a general consensus is a misrepresentation. Everyone has different opinions about everything....please don't try to speak for everyone as a whole.

Why not take a poll and see what the GENERAL consensous REALLY is?

I heard that using K&N airfilters can eventually lead to trans fluid leaks........

Just kidding Adrian....just kidding......LOL

Your'e bad, man...bad... bad.. LOL!!

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

Why not? But, I must say first....a K&N makes much more difference when combined with a modified exhaust than alone.

You know Adrian, it's what makes you happy. I have an opened up exhaust system on my STS, along with a K&N panel air filter. I think the two work very well in concert together. Can I prove it goes faster than with the the paper OEM air filter...Maybe..maybe not. Am I going to try and prove it? No. Do I care? No. Am I happy? Oh yeah.

That's what counts. ;)

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

You know Adrian, it's what makes you happy. I have an opened up exhaust system on my STS, along with a K&N panel air filter. I think the two work very well in concert together. Can I prove it goes faster than with the the paper OEM air filter...Maybe..maybe not. Am I going to try and prove it? No. Do I care? No. Am I happy? Oh yeah.

That's what counts.  ;)

My point exactly. Some people on this board are always trying to discourage people from trying things by saying everyone agrees that they do no good.

Didn't mean to start another war here. If I remember correctly Bruce did some tests with the K & N vs OEM and there was no appreciable difference. Bill then quoted theory to confirm the findings. Maybe "general consensous" was the wrong term. Perhaps I should have said IMHO. Sorry if I ruffled some feathers.

without being a car/engine expert at any kind, I would think that the northstar engine, already are producing at maximum, personally I would never chip the motor of any kind, if you still have any warranty on it, then its gone in the second you chip the engine. Dont buy the crap from sellers that claim, you can just remove it and no body will see. The mechanic, will!! see. I recently read a volvo test on their truck engines, where they chipped the engine, they reduced the engine life by about 50%. The only thing Ill be changing are the exhaust system, Ill put the corsa exhaust catback system on it and thats it.

If anyone want more power, then buy the cts-v or simply.... another brand of car.

However i think 300 hp, should satisfy most people.

regards

henrik

Sweden

My point exactly. Some people on this board are always trying to discourage people from trying things by saying everyone agrees that they do no good.

I don't think the point was to discourage people trying new things, it was just to merely state that in past experience, measureable gains are hard to come by, that's all.

I put a K&N cone filter on my car because I liked the sound too. But I had no intention of modifying the exhaust, and the car didn't really perform any better, and in more than one test I read, the K&N filter really doesn't filter as well as paper, so in my case, I switched back to paper. No big deal. I'm positive that if I had done exhaust mods also, I would have seen more positive results (in terms of acceleration).

It's just a response to the question, "is the K&N going to give me more power?" Answer, "by itself, probably not." It's not to discourage someone from doing something, just an answer that is accurate to the best of our knowledge from past experiences with and without measuring devices. If for you, the sound alone pays for itself, then it's absolutely a great mod for your car. :)

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I too believe that the K&N does not improve performance, but I have one installed mainly because they last longer. One thing I wanted to discuss was the Supercharger they make for the Northstars. I was reading all about it here on this site, does anybody have one installed? I think this would be a great investment down the road.

Also at www.customcaddy.com they make some headers for the Sevilles and other Caddy's. If you haven't checked out this website yet, take a look because they have some good looking billet grills.

"Cadillac, it's not a car, it's an obsession"

-W.Kingdon

I'm interested to see, once they have a supercharged Northstar up and running for a while, how the transmission holds up. Does their supercharger package include any upgrades to the transmission? Guru, do you think the tranny should be able to handle another 50 or 100 pounds of torque that the supercharger might provide?

I think once they get the bugs out of that package, that should be a VERY nice (if expensive) upgrade for a Northstar car.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I have a '94 Eldorado, and I replaced my stock air filter with a BIG cylindrical k&n. The car has 87,000 miles on it. Upon ripping out the stock airbox, and putting this big filter on, the car comes alive at around 4000 rpm. My car automatically shifts at 6000 rpm, which I believe is standard for the computer to do on our cars. I did however notice my gas mileage go down, as I have a heavier foot. Keep in mind that I am in need of a tune up, and might not be using the best quality gas as mentioned in this post. Other people also mentioned chips for the car. Let me say this, Fast Chips, Ed Wright out of Oklahoma, claims he can give our cars more hp, raise the speed limiter, and improve shift points. I drove with his chip for 2 days, and I was shifting at 5200 instead of 6000. I was able to get the Eldorado up to 120 instead of 110 which is where mine cuts off. His chip was around 200, I think. Needless to say I got my money back. There is another company, I believe superchips, but they want another hundred dollars more than Ed Wright for their chip. Not worth my time if you ask me. Lastly, someone said something about a custom stall on this post. I have been all over the net, and have yet been able to find someone who will build one for my caddy. If anyone knows anymore about that, please let me know

http://members.cox.net/jonathan.schwartz/eldorado.htm

Just to throw my 2 cents in. I am running a K&N cone filter with a Corsa open exhaust. I have been going to the track for the last 2 years after making modifications to see what works and what doesn't to get accurate times under as close as posible the same weather conditions. After all my experimentation with lager TB, modified MAF and other minor tweaks, the best results are from an open exhaust and open intake. Like Guru said you want more acceleration from more torque at the low end.

Just last summer I put in a higher stall torque converter and again went to the track. I put Mickey Thompson slicks on the front to avoid wheel spin and very light alumnium wheels all around. I ran a 14.1sec qtr. (my best so far) as compared to 15.1 stock when I got the car. I plan on getting the supercharger when it is ready and estimate I will be in the low 13's.

You can get more power and or torque out of the Northstar but as has been said, it comes with a price. It comes down to what you are willing to compromise to get it and hopefully have something you can live with and enjoy.

I am extremely happy with mine and thats all that matters!

MARK 99STS

TURBOCHARGED

Lastly, someone said something about a custom stall on this post.  I have been all over the net, and have yet been able to find someone who will build one for my caddy.  If anyone knows anymore about that, please let me know

Just saw your post after mine. Talk to this co.

Edge Racing Converters 1-888-350-3343

MARK 99STS

TURBOCHARGED

Archived