CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1991 Seville won't start

suliot1

At first I thought is was the ignition switch. Sometimes would'nt turn off. Now, turn key, and no starter, or even a click. Lights on dash until I try to engage starter. No codes. Once, got a message that said "anti-theft engaged" then "wait 5 minutes"

It is possible that the PASS key wires on the ignition lock have broken. I had the same problem with my '93 Fleetwood. It would always display the "PASS KEY FAULT" message and would restart on the second attempt after waiting for 3 minutes.

To check for that condition, you will need to remove the airbag, steering wheel, airbag coiling module, and turn signal switch to see the ignition lock. There will be two small wires connected to the ignition lock. If those wires are broken, it's not much more work to remove the lock cylinder at that point.

You will need a steering wheel puller and a lock plate compressor tool to remove the circlip that retains the lock plate. Do not even attempt the job without the lock plate compressor.

If you find that the wires are broken, there are two options:

1) You could cut the PASS key wires at the column end of the plug and solder a resistor equal to the resistance of your ignition key across the leads.

2) Purchase a new ignition lock assembly and have it rekeyed to your existing keys. $45 for a new lock cylinder and $25 to have it re-keyed to the existing keys.

I went with option 2 as I like to keep my cars in original condition.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Just went out to try again, turned key harder, and it started. Did this many times. Always started IF I put abnormal pressure foward. Thanks for the advice. Need the car every day now that after the hurricane went through here.

Just went out to try again, turned key harder, and it started. Did this many times. Always started IF I put abnormal pressure foward. Thanks for the advice. Need the car every day now that after the hurricane went through here.

you are lucky if it's just bad wires.... your situation sounds rather like a combination of problems. A brocken rack actuator among them. Be careful some day you'll be not able to start the car at all.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

If some day you cannot shut the car down - it is a broken actuator inside of the steering column since wires have nothing to do with shutting down. You better take care of the problem right away because it is "WALK HOME" type problem and may happen any time soon.

Happened recently to one of our members (besides KHE) and to me two years ago.

I think the accutater might be it. 115k miles. Great car. Going out to rent a chain saw to get at the steering column, or maybe worth having it fixed the right way. Somewhat hot and burned out here in Florida. Need the chain saw for the trees.

I think the accutater might be it. 115k miles. Great car. Going out to rent a chain saw to get at the steering column, or maybe worth having it fixed the right way. Somewhat hot and burned out here in Florida. Need the chain saw for the trees.

:lol: chainsaw would definitely replace all the special tools KHE mentioned. Actually if you need to get the actuator you need one more to take out the pivots.

If you decide to do the job yourself let me know I'll give you directions. BTW if youare going to use the chainsaw DISCONNECT THE BATTERY! :D

Archived