CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Deep shine

tom karen

Is it possible to put a second coat of wax ( usually Mother's ) on top of the first coat?

Read somewhere that when you put on the second coat it disolves the first coat and you still have only one coat. Have wondered about this since reading it and would like to know the weather it's true or not.

Thanks for any and all answers.

Is it possible to put a second coat of wax ( usually Mother's ) on top of the first coat?

Read somewhere that when you put on the second coat it disolves the first coat and you still have only one coat. Have wondered about this since reading it and would like to know the weather it's true or not.

Thanks for any and all answers.

If you are dealing with a wax based product, then yes, once you apply the "second coat" the first coat dissolves. This is because the wax also contains solvents and you can usually smell them. The solvents are added to make the wax glide on easier and to stabilize the wax. The smell can come across like turpentine or some other flammable product and it usually is flammable.

The only wax product that I know of that does not contain solvents is Zymol. It uses all natural ingredients to stabilize the wax and make it easier to apply.

Some Zymol wax products contain such high levels of wax that they cannot be applied with an applicator; you will need to place a small amount of the wax in your hands to warm it, which softens it, and then apply the wax, literally by hand. The wax that Zymol uses is top grade Brazilian carnauba wax and traces of bees wax.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

I use Meguiars wax. I learned a lot from them. Visit their web site at http://www.meguiars.com/ They have a three step process called Deep Crystal. If needed the first step is CLEANER, the second step is POLISH, and the third step is WAX. Step 2 Polish - This product is not a wax. It is a pure polish that conditions and nourishes the paint and is the secret to creating an awesome, deep, wet-look shine. I like to say I am FEEDING the paint! Step 3 - Caranuba Wax, to protect the dazzling finish you created in Step 2. This formula delivers tough, long-lasting Carnauba wax protection on all paints. The STEP 2 FEEDING the paint is the most important step, that is where you get a wet, deep, watery finish the wax only protects....

This is from their web site, go to FAQ and look at some of the info:

Are multiple coats of wax beneficial? (Layering)

That depends on what effect you are looking for: protection or beauty.

Protection

If your looking for the maximum protection possible, then one or two thin coats of wax, maybe even up to three thin coats of wax, has the potential to create the most surface protection depending on the wax, the surface itself and whether or not sufficient time has passed in-between each application. Of course the law of diminishing returns states that you will not create exponentially greater layers of protection with each application, but Meguiar's knows that a second, and sometimes third application will insure uniform, thorough coverage over the majority of the surface, thus maximizing the protection.

Environmental conditions today demand more frequent washing and waxing in order to prevent costly damage to the outer layers of paint. Just as important as a second, and possibly a third coating of wax is to provide the maximum amount of protection in any one detailing session, (especially on the horizontal surfaces), it is also vitally important that you wax more often to maintain your finish. This is especially true if your car is a daily driver exposed to the elements and parked outdoors most of the time.

Beauty

Will more coats of a product make a finish deeper, darker, and wetter looking with each additional application?

In a word: Possibly

Generally speaking, when trying to take your car's finish to its maximum potential for clarity, gloss, shine and depth of color, there comes a point, or a plateau, that you will reach whereupon additional applications of either polish or wax will not increase the results of any of those categories. Of course, you are more apt to reach this plateau if your skill level is high and if the quality of your products is also very high.

These assumptions also assume that the surface in question is on

A brand new car

A car with a brand new paint job

An older car whose finish has been well maintained and is in excellent condition

An older car whose finish has been professional restored to excellent condition

If any of the above holds true, then you will most certainly hit the wall, so to speak, reaching that plateau of perfection whereby further applications will not improve the results of the previously applied coating. Your finish will have reached its maximum potential in appearance value.

After time goes by and this plateau you have previously reached begins to diminish, you can restore the paint to it's maximum potential again, quickly and easily by simply applying a new coat of the right wax or polish. This maintenance procedure will only act to restore the finish back to it's maximum potential and shouldn't be positioned, or confused with making your surface deeper, darker, shinier, etc. than it's maximum potential.

Once you hit 100% max potential, (or that plateau), it's time to stand back and admire the results, not continue to apply more and more coats.

if you use a PURE carnauba wax (no cleaners added to the wax) then, yes, you can layer your wax applications. just make sure that when you buy your cleaning/wax products that you buy the three individual products (cleaner,glaze, and the wax). i use mothers three step process and as long as the car is kept garaged, after doing the three step, the wax will last for at least six months maybe even a year...but, if the car lives outside and you live in an area with high levels of acid rain...then you're basically in a losing proposition. harsh environmental conditons can ruin a paint job in a very short time. under those conditions cleaning and waxing will be necessary every few months. jackg 90seville 95k

A few words about Carnauba:

1) Carnauba wax in it's natural state is rock hard. To strip it from the leaves of the trees, A Brazilian palm tree (Copernicia prunifera) the leaves are soaked in a solvent that removes the wax. Then, the wax is filtered removing most of the solvent. To make carnauba wax "workable" other ingredients are added. Carnauba wax has the highest refractive index of all waxes which explains it's brilliant shine.

2) Carnauba wax is the most resistant substance to acid rain known. However, if applied to your car's finish, it will eventually "yellow" and needs to be removed about once a year to restore your car's natural color. Working with carnauba wax is not easy and basically requires dedication and lots of elbow grease.

3) It's the only wax approved by the FDA for consumption which is why your medication is usually sprayed with it at the pharmaceutical company that makes the medication. Yummy!!

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Preperation of the paint is probably more impostant than what "wax" you use. Cleaning w/clay bar and paint cleaner. Then polishing to remove &/or fill in swirl marks and then a wax or sealant.

I got hooked at http://www.autopia.org/ a couple of years ago and now have a couple of buffers, rotary & orbital, and my cars have never looked better. I use Menzerna polishes and wax w/Meguiars NXT on one car and the same polishes w/Zaino on the other. Zaino lasts longer and NXT looks "deeper".

Carefull, its adicting...

Hi

I always use 2 coats of any wax not sure if it wipes off the first coat but it does get the spots you may miss the first time you apply the wax. I always wheel any car before waxing. This time I use a foam pad with some 3m foam padglaze for dark colors then topped it off with 2 coats of maquires gold class liguid by hand easy enough to do. I feel that you can never achieve the gloss by hand that you get by using a rotary wheel with a foam pad then hand waxing..

Cheers

Jim

picture.JPG

scotty, "Step 2 Polish" i've got awesome results wigh ColorX. It enhances the shine, applying a little to the door.. it darkens and gives off a miror like finish, i posted a pic just a few minutes ago with just colorX applied.

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=3063

once came outta a store and saw my car, didnt reconize it as my own. i was thinking to myself "darn thats a nice *smurf* car" .. started to walk past it then realized, wait.. thats mine!! aww man, made my night!

second layer question is pretty perlexing to me.. im not touching that one.

i just think that since its the same chemicals on the same surface, they'd join to create a single layer. And if it has a chemical to eat away the first layer. Wtf. The wax is self destructive. which you'll have to keep applying with the same brand? due to different chemicals? What a better way to snuff the compatition. you apply mcguires.. but the chemicals clash with 'mothers' or 'turtlewax' and you call them crap.

its a conspiracy man!

i guess it depends on how soon you apply it, once the first layer drys and creats a hard sufuce for the beading action, will the second layer bond to that or become hazy? lol can you see somebody with a huge pile of wax on the hood. makes me think of that guy who has astroturf on his car.

scotty, "Step 2 Polish" i've got awesome results wigh ColorX. It enhances the shine, applying a little to the door.. it darkens and gives off a miror like finish, i posted a pic just a few minutes ago with just colorX applied.

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=3063

once came outta a store and saw my car, didnt reconize it as my own. i was thinking to myself "darn thats a nice *smurf* car" .. started to walk past it then realized, wait.. thats mine!! aww man, made my night!

second layer question is pretty perlexing to me.. im not touching that one.

i just think that since its the same chemicals on the same surface, they'd join to create a single layer. And if it has a chemical to eat away the first layer. Wtf. The wax is self destructive. which you'll have to keep applying with the same brand? due to different chemicals? What a better way to snuff the compatition. you apply mcguires.. but the chemicals clash with 'mothers' or 'turtlewax' and you call them crap.

its a conspiracy man!

i guess it depends on how soon you apply it, once the first layer drys and creats a hard sufuce for the beading action, will the second layer bond to that or become hazy? lol can you see somebody with a huge pile of wax on the hood. makes me think of that guy who has astroturf on his car.

Thanks Ill look into the ColorX. Do they make different colors of ColorX, my car is an off white/tan..

Color X IS a fine product. Case in point: Earlier this Summer I did a friends Sportster. I tried NXT, # 7, #82, S-100, to name a few. Color X Made it look the best. The Judges at the show thought so too. That Sporty grabbed first place! The owner entered it last year and it didn't place. Same bike, different finish. Color X comes in one flavor...

rek

I just looked outside the window and it's POURING outside, and ohhhhhhhh is that Caddy of mine looking good!

Water is beading up beautifully and running right off the car.

http://www.zymol.com

I just ordered a jar of their Titanium wax ($61/8 ounces) and I'm looking forward to working with it. It contains 51% carnauba wax and you have to apply it by warming it in your hands and rubbing it on the car by hand. Hard work but the results are fabulous. The wax was developed for SUV's because of it's powerful resistance to road salts, acids etc, but it can be used on any car where top level protection is needed. Here's the best part of their products, the ingredients, all-natural:

Contains Carnauba Wax (derived from Palmetto), Montan Oil, Coconut Oil, Banana Oil, Propolis (derived from Bees), Glycerol Stearate (derived from Glycerin), Cetyl Esters, Cetyl Cocoamide (derived from coconut oil) and FD&C Blue #1. (It smells awesome)

http://www.zymol.com/titan2.htm

I've been so happy with all their other products, that I'm really looking forward to working with this one as well.

$61/8 ounces...WOW! Are you kiddin?

Nope. And it's worth every penny. B)

Are you brain washed maybe? :blink: You say it's worth every penny, and you haven't even tried it yet. Hope it works well for you though! I do...really! :)

Brainwashed!! That's an interesting word.

I've tried almost all their products. Their standard waxes which contain about 31~37% carnauba (depending upon which one you buy) are awesome. The more carnauba in the product, the more brilliant the shine.

Ferrari uses Zymol as their factory wax. Every Ferrari comes from the factory with a nice coat of Zymol on it.

I'll let you know once it's done. You'll have to give me your e-mail address so I can send you some pics, posting them here is hopeless since the resolution is lost due to the low file size. In fact, if you send me your e-mail address now, I'll send you two pics of my car after it was recently washed and then waxed with Zymol's Carbon wax, which contains about 37% carnauba. I think you'll be impressed.

Use the link in this forum for sending me a private message with your e-mail addy.

Archived