CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Coming back

I had to sell my Eldorado 2 years ago because I needed a truck.Now I have a truck and I am looking at a 1999 STS as a second vehicle.I looked at one yesterday,150k pearl white,very clean,dealer said Caddy replaced engine for the previous owner at 100k.Dealer was closed when I was looking,but the car was unlocked,so I opened the trunk and noticed the spare tire well was full of water.Is this a big concern or an easy fix?Other than that the car looked awesome,is there anything else I should look for?

Thanks for reading,and Im looking foward to owning a Caddy again.

Water in the trunk was a problem that has not been discussed for several years on this board (Surprised, as many "common" issues never seem to go away - but this one id). I believe the solution was to silicone the foam rubber around the trunk before pushing it on. Only suggestion on what else to check - Check the history codes (Off&Warmer).

Water in the trunk was a problem that has not been discussed for several years on this board (Surprised, as many "common" issues never seem to go away - but this one id). I believe the solution was to silicone the foam rubber around the trunk before pushing it on. Only suggestion on what else to check - Check the history codes (Off&Warmer).

My '99 STS was an EXCELLENT car, I still miss the passing power it had, and the cruise control on the right hand dedicated stalk, my Jeep has that kind of cruise control.

Mine had water in the trunk when I first bought it. The selling dealer fixed it with a new version trunk seal and ensuring it was completely sealed to the mounting lip. The problem never returned. I've also heard of the wheelwell sealing, and trunk vents being the problem occasionally.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

....I opened the trunk and noticed the spare tire well was full of water.Is this a big concern or an easy fix?

I would have the dealer worry about it and give you a leak repair warranty for some period of time.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

The interiors of the ETC and the ESC are the same. The ESC will give you better gas mileage and drives pretty much the same except for the high RPM power surge of the ETC, so the ESC is a better choice for a second car IMHO. Also, the pearl white is very desirable and not that easy to find. Congratulations.

I would also check the CarFAX and, as winterset says, run the codes.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

The interiors of the ETC and the ESC are the same. The ESC will give you better gas mileage and drives pretty much the same except for the high RPM power surge of the ETC, so the ESC is a better choice for a second car IMHO. Also, the pearl white is very desirable and not that easy to find. Congratulations.

I would also check the CarFAX and, as winterset says, run the codes.

Although I like the fact that the ETC is a 2 door I like the interior of the STS better.They are similar,but IMO the STS is nicer.

The ETC/ESC is the two-door; the STS/SLS is the four-door. Most people prefer the Seville to the Edorado because the back seat has six inches less footroom. The Eldorado has six inches shorter wheelbase and it all comes out of the rear seat legroom.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Archived