CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Have a Look at the Milky Way

Living in a light polluted area has left me without a chance to ever view the Milky Way with an unaided eye. All my life I've heard of people who've done just that, however. So, you'll understand why this photo just takes my breath away. See a teaser below.

The full image is at http://www.astrosurf...Chimborazo.html and is zoomable and full-screenable. Take a deep breath and go gander . . .

post-416-127747955646_thumb.jpg

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Truly a sight to behold with the naked eye and I have had the pleasure many times in the clear cold night sky along the Continental Divide in Colorado.

Do some digging for pictures from the Hubbell for a truly humbling view of the Milky Way that includes our own Sun. Our Sun is an insignificant source of light compared the the "really big" stars out there.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

That's amazing and beautiful!

And Earth is located in the most hospitable area of the Milky Way having the least chance of getting nailed by an asteroid, distance from sun, etc. The Kepler spacecraft was launched by NASA about 15 months ago and is currently on a mission to try to find signs of alien life.

I too have seen it several times when in Colorado... (where I will be all next week) :D

I will make it a point to go out at night and look at it again.

Thanks, Warren for reminding me to LOOK UP...

:D

Posted Image

• 8 months later...

Here's another that caught my eye recently. It's by Ole Christian Salmonsen:

"Ok folks, this is it. Here is my first video project.

It is a timelapse video of the Northern Lights. All sequences are shot in or close to Tromsø in Northern Norway.

I have spent over 6months collecting footage for this, I have shot approx 50.000 stills to choose from in making this video. A goal for me has been to try to preserve the real-time speed of the northern lights, or come as close as possible, and present it the way I experienced it, instead of the northern lights just flashing over the sky in the blink of an eye. It may work on other time-lapse videos with skies and sunsets etc, but with the northern lights in focus, it should be presented in it's true speed to reflect her beauty, imo.

I got a fantastic soundtrack made for the video by local musical talent in Tromsø; Per Wollen. A Huge thanks goes to you Per obviously! The audio track "Aurora in the sky" can be found on iTunes."

http://vimeo.com/21419634

I found the link to this on spaceweather.com.

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

I guess not many of you has seen this irl? Pity he didn´t use the actual sound that goes with the Northern Light! It´s like a distortion on an old radio or like crumblin paper. When I was a kid my mom used to wrap a blanket around me and take me outside to watch in the middle of the night! Niiiice!!!!!!

Archived