CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

92 Eldorado help ?

bob2231

We've had the car about 18 months with no major problems, just previous owner's neglect issues. Mileage is approx 110K, and codes are EO52,IO39,IO52 and AO48. All history, nothing current. Nothing that would affect driveability really. Now for the problem. On the way to work my A\C clutch bearing went out and I had to drive it 25 miles that way. I replaced the compressor and ever since it idles fine, but as soon as the thermostat opens it seems to miss and sputter on any acceleration. Still idles ok though.

It also had a jingle\rattle from underneath the car that seems to be gone now. Exhaust problem ? Doesn't seem likely with the normal idling. Also, the battery didn't have enough charge to even unlock the doors but the DIC clamis the Alt. is putting out 14.1 volts.

Any help would be appreciated, I'm in a neck to waist body cast and trying to do this with the least possible crawling around.

Thanks

As far as I understand the car has been seating for a long time. It's not strange the battery was low. Hopefully it is not dead.

Have you ever checked your catalitic converter? Just hit it with a rubber hammer and listen to the noises it makes. Is there anything lose inside of it? Lose pieces coud get the muffler and cause problems you described.

Clear the codes and see if they come back.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

try doing some WOT's :) Punch the pedal all the way down for a few runs and see if you hear anything strange.. a rattle/jingle or like marbles in a metal container sound could be the converter..

We've had the car about 18 months with no major problems, just previous owner's neglect issues. Mileage is approx 110K, and codes are EO52,IO39,IO52 and AO48. All history, nothing current. Nothing that would affect driveability really. Now for the problem. On the way to work my A\C clutch bearing went out and I had to drive it 25 miles that way. I replaced the compressor and ever since it idles fine, but as soon as the thermostat opens it seems to miss and sputter on any acceleration. Still idles ok though.

It also had a jingle\rattle from underneath the car that seems to be gone now. Exhaust problem ? Doesn't seem likely with the normal idling. Also, the battery didn't have enough charge to even unlock the doors but the DIC clamis the Alt. is putting out 14.1 volts.

Any help would be appreciated, I'm in a neck to waist body cast and trying to do this with the least possible crawling around.

Thanks

Is that E048 or A048? E048 is EGR....Check for a vacuum leak and clean (rod out with a hanger) the two EGR tubes in the throat of the intake manifold if it is E048. Open the TB and look down and you will see the tubes.

Someone else had a problem like you are having, if I recall it was the fuel pump that once it got warm caused a driveability problem. Check the fuel line pressure at the schrader valve.

Also check your battery to be sure it is putting out, I once had a battery in a 91 4.9 that was so bad that when I went to pull away from the curb the engine would die as the battery could not supply enough for the coils. I could jump it, start the car, as soon as I put the car in drive and stepped on the gas, it ran rough and stalled. I replaced the battery and all was perfect, I NEVER saw that before.

Does the exhaust sound restricted? Mike

Thanks for the responses, some things to think about. A common theme seems to be exhaust and that's the way I've been leaning also. I think the battery problem came from driving home that far with the A\C pulley flopping around like a fish. The belt had to be loose and slipping on the Alt. pulley. Then the car sat in Tampa heat for a while until I found a compressor for it.

I'll take it to a muffler shop to start since it's had a fuzzy exhaust tone with a rattle since I bought it. And they'll check it free too.

As for the codes Scooty, it's AO48. Low refrig. pressure. It's from my evap. core leak and recently replaced compressor. A legacy from the previous owner.

I like the car and I'll deal with the problems in order of importance I guess. It has always amazed me though that someone will pay what this car cost new and then refuse to fix things that go wrong. It came with bad struts, driver window motor, driver seat back lock cylanders, dead CD player, mirror control switch that would only move left and down. The one that irritated me was that he had at some point changed the front 4 plugs but ignored the rear 4 because they were more work. That .14 gap was something to see.

I'll let you know what I find for anyone looking in the future, thanks for the advice.

Bob

It came with bad struts, driver window motor, driver seat back lock cylanders, dead CD player, mirror control switch that would only move left and down.

sooooooo familiar... ;)

The one that irritated me was that he had at some point changed the front 4 plugs but ignored the rear 4 because they were more work

:lol:

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Thanks for the responses, some things to think about. A common theme seems to be exhaust and that's the way I've been leaning also. I think the battery problem came from driving home that far with the A\C pulley flopping around like a fish. The belt had to be loose and slipping on the Alt. pulley. Then the car sat in Tampa heat for a while until I found a compressor for it.

I'll take it to a muffler shop to start since it's had a fuzzy exhaust tone with a rattle since I bought it. And they'll check it free too.

As for the codes Scooty, it's AO48. Low refrig. pressure. It's from my evap. core leak and recently replaced compressor. A legacy from the previous owner.

I like the car and I'll deal with the problems in order of importance I guess. It has always amazed me though that someone will pay what this car cost new and then refuse to fix things that go wrong. It came with bad struts, driver window motor, driver seat back lock cylanders, dead CD player, mirror control switch that would only move left and down. The one that irritated me was that he had at some point changed the front 4 plugs but ignored the rear 4 because they were more work. That .14 gap was something to see.

I'll let you know what I find for anyone looking in the future, thanks for the advice.

Bob

Good Luck Bob, keep us up to date, mike

Bob,

At that mileage, the EGR tubes are due for a cleaning as Mike described. Very easy to do.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived