CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Case Half

jrz

I'm trying to find the torque sequences involved with resealing the Northstar case halves. Below is the torque sequence for the main bearing bolts that Autozone gave me, can anybody confirm it just in case? They didn't have the sequence for the case perimeter bolts though, and the dealership said the sequence doesn't matter, but I'm not too sure about that. http://mechdb.com/index.php/GM_Northstar_case_halves_reseal here's the instructions for anybody who's interested (53 and 54 are where these sequences are supposed to be).

FRONT----17 13 11 15 19

----------------7---3--1---5---9

OF

----------------8---4--2---6---10

ENGINE---18 14 12 16 20

Also, does anybody have a link to some where with some in depth instructions and pictures that could help out.

http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000028.html Some pictures of the case reseal plus many other things.

If you are doing internal engine work you need to get aholt of a factory shop manual (FSM) ASAP. There is absolutely no substitute. Here is the page from the 1997 FSM that has the tightening instructions for the main and case half bolts (click the thumbnail for the full size page):

th_FSM_6-141.jpg

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Yes, I would like to get one, but believe me when I say I can't quite afford it at the moment, because it's either a more reliabe part or that book. I'm (hopefully) just resealing it. Actually I'm not even sure if I want to do it, but it seems like its a good idea while it's out. Thank you though.

I'm trying to find the torque sequences involved with resealing the Northstar case halves. Below is the torque sequence for the main bearing bolts that Autozone gave me, can anybody confirm it just in case? They didn't have the sequence for the case perimeter bolts though, and the dealership said the sequence doesn't matter, but I'm not too sure about that. http://mechdb.com/index.php/GM_Northstar_case_halves_reseal here's the instructions for anybody who's interested (53 and 54 are where these sequences are supposed to be).

FRONT----17 13 11 15 19

----------------7---3--1---5---9

OF

----------------8---4--2---6---10

ENGINE---18 14 12 16 20

Also, does anybody have a link to some where with some in depth instructions and pictures that could help out.

http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000028.html Some pictures of the case reseal plus many other things.

The Autozone sequence is WRONG! They have the inner and outer sequences interchanged. The link to the thread below has the correct sequence in post #48. Once the mains are torqued, proceed with Jims_97_ETC's reply on the case half bolts (they are numbers 21-28 in the sequence.

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=25134&pid=169260&st=45entry169260

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Yeah, I noticed that the Autozone stuff was backward. Apparently they mixed up the front and rear of the engine and went from there. Use the FSM, or the enlarged diagram out of it at the link given by KHE in post #4.

This is one of the reason that I say that you *must* get a FSM. The real quesiton is not whether or not you can afford $50 (used, eBay, good price) to $250 (new, from Helm) for a FSM, it's whether you can afford to do the job *without* an FSM.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

Well, thank you though. You already sent them so there's no need to explain my situation but I'm sure you understand. I don't like having to ask all these things, but I'd feel even more stupid if that tiny leak in my case half got to be a problem, and I would have just left it if I couldn't get the sequences before my gaskets arrive.

I should probably do something about the first post, warn people that if they go to autozone or the dealer (because the dealer described it to me in the same way) (Also autozone printed it out on paper so I did not make a mistake in typing it up) they might ruin something. I'm not sure how much a torque sequence matters, and I don't want to find out the hard way... Anyway, I thought I saw a button that said EDIT on the post, where is it now?

Nevermind, I guess it's only there for a certain amount of time after the post. So people please read Jim's and KHE's posts. I have the sequence saved so if that link goes bad, just email me or something.

I don't think it needs to be said that mechanical advice from an auto parts store has its limits. The bolt pattern that you did get from them is similar enough to the FSM recommendations that it will likley be OK. The killer is that it doesn't include the rest of the bolts in the case half, making it useless, which is what brought you here in the first place.

Archived