CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

2000 SLS Fuel Pump isue

dcarney

Looking for help, 2000 SLS It had no fuell pressure, replaced pump, started and drove once around the block

half mile, then no pressure. tank at 1/2 . looking for voltage specifications at the plug to the pump.

Could this car be blowing out pumps????? Thanks for your time and help++++++++++++++++++++++

It sounds more like a fuel pump relay or water in the gas clogging the fuel filter. Read the OBD II codes (instructions at link in my signature block) and post them here. Then we can all tell more.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Without the OBD II codes we can't tell. But, if there are no codes, the fuel pump/filter/injectors are candidates for a no-gas situation.

You can do a check of your fuel pump with no instruments. After allowing your car to sit overnight, get in and open the driver's window so that you can hear well. If you are not in a quiet environment, wait for a quiet moment, then turn on the key but don't try to start the car. You should hear the fuel pump run for a few seconds, then stop. Don't confuse it with the leveling compressor, which may also run for a few seconds.

If the fuel pump doesn't come on, you need to check the fuse and relay. If it does come on, you can check the fuel pressure at the fuel injection rails. If the fuel pump runs but the fuel pressure is low at the fuel rails, the fuel line is clogged, quite likely at the fuel filter. Changing the fuel filter at this point, without checking the fuel pressure, may do the trick. As Ranger says, it's rare that the fuel filter is clogged to the point that the car won't start at all.

The first thing is to read the OBD II codes.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

If it were me, assuming the fuel pump does turn on and run, I would go ahead and change the filter. It's a 10$ part that could save you a lot of grief if it turns out to be the problem.

If the fuel pump doesn't run then there could be a short in the wiring to the fuel pump somewhere that caused the old pump to die, and possibly this new one too.

As said above, check your codes. If it's an electrical problem it will most likely set a code.

big4870885.jpg

Archived