CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Fuel Rail Recall

Ranger

I called my local Cadillac dealer today to injuire about the recall. I first asked if they had the SS fuel rails in yet and was told they did. I asked if I needed to wait for the recall letter or if I could bring it in before I got it. She asked for my vin and then told me it was listed as a limo :blink: The dealer seemed to be aware of the recall but said my car wasn't included. I now wonder if it didn't have something to do with this limo mix up. When I assured her that it was not, she gave me a Cadillac customer service no. to call. Customer service also had the same information but put me on hold after doing some research she had it corrected. Seems it was first bought by a limo co. in Memphis. Perhaps it was destined to become a limo and never happened. I bought it from a Cadillac dealer with about 20K on it in 2000. But I digress. Anyway, Cadillac know's nothing about this recall. When I gave her the no. that was on the recall that Logan posted she said that was not a GM recall no. I said, well something is going on since the dealer had the SS rails and she agreed. She said since the letters where to start going out in Aug. they may not be aware of it yet and would contact me when and "if there was a recall". Wouldn't you think customer service would know about this or at least have access to it? This is all very strange. I think I am going to have to do some more calling and get something in writing so if something happens I have proof that I tried to get this taken care of.

Hi Larry.

The recall is for real and in effect. I took my 95 STS to the dealer in Tyler, TX on Tue 8-10-04 without an appointment. Two hours later I left with tne new SS fuel rails installed. No BS just good pleasant service.

DaveC

I received a letter today informing me of the recall and have scheduled the repairs for next week. The service department has already obtained the replacement parts and said they could confirm whether a paritular car is part of the recall by checking the VIN#. Your dealer should be able to do the same.

I think I'm just going to wait for the letter. I've called three dealerships around here and none claim to know about the recall. I guess once I have a notice in my hands, they won't be able to deny anything then.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

There was a point in time when the stainless rails were used at the factory. I don't know if they were in place by 1998 or not. Anyone know for sure?

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

95-97 Aurora owners are going thru the same thing. Some dealers act like they don't know anything about it, some are taking care of people. 1995's have been the worst problem. They are the oldest and most likely to leak, but the last to be added to the recall. I beleive the reason is that the 95 rail is different so they had to produce a completely different run of parts for them.

I got lucky with a call to an 800 number at GM and they hooked me up with Story Olds (very few dealers doing warranty work on Olds these days) here in Lansing to get it done. They are one of the dealers that had told me there was not a recall on the 95 earlier that day. Others have not had the same experience that I did. When I called to schedule the work I was told it would be 20 days because they only have one guy doing the job and he was booked until then. Had to call back and talk to the service manager and point out that mine was squirting a fine little stream of gas on the intake. He did it the next day.

Scary deal to know my wife was driving that thing, for I don't know how long, before I found out it was leaking.

The new stainless setup looks sweet! I have left the cover off the motor. Is there any real reason it needs to be on there?

This is the recall right from the NHTSA website. Go to nhtsa.com and you can do a search on any vehicle.

Make : CADILLAC Model : DEVILLE Year : 1997

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 04V110000 Recall Date : MAR 03, 2004

Component: FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:DELIVERY:HOSES, LINES/PIPING, AND FITTINGS

Potential Number Of Units Affected : 483477

Summary:

SOME PASSENGER VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH 4.0L V8 ENGINES HAVE A CONDITION IN WHICH THE NYLON TUBING USED IN THE FUEL RAIL CONSTRUCTION MAY DEGRADE AND CRACK. ADDITIONALLY, THE 1995 MODEL YEAR USES A UNIQUE UNDERHOOD FUEL RETURN LINE THAT MAY CRACK. CRACKING OF THE FUEL RAIL OR RETURN LINE TUBING CAN RESULT IN A FUEL LEAK INTO THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT.

Consequence:

FUEL LEAKAGE, IN THE PRESENCE OF AN IGNITION SOURCE, COULD RESULT IN A FIRE.

Remedy:

DEALERS WILL INSPECT AND, IF NECESSARY, REPLACE THE ENGINE FUEL RAIL WITH A NEW STAINLESS STEEL FUEL RAIL. DEALERS WILL ALSO INSTALL A REVISED CHASSIS FUEL RETURN LINE. THE RECALL BEGAN ON JUNE 2, 2004, FOR 1996-1997 OLDSMOBILE AURORA VEHICLES. OWNERS OF 1995 CADILLACS AND 1996-1997 OLDSMOBILE AURORA WERE SENT LETTERS ON AUGUST 6, 2004. ADDITIONAL LETTERS TO OWNERS WILL BE FORTHCOMING. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT OLDSMOBILE AT 1-800-630-6537.

Notes:

GM RECALL NO. 04014. CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATIONS AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).

Use the search button at the top of the page and search for "Fuel Recall" and filter by member name "Logan" and the TSB link will be displayed.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Well, I called the local Cadillac dealer again this morning and talked to the same lady I did yesterday. She has taken a personal interest mainly because the screw up in the vin #. She called Cadillac and then called me back. I now have an appointment for an "inspection" ;) monday morning. I suspect I'll have a SS fuel rail by Monday afternoon.

Archived