CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Bars Leak Gold

maremrak

I recently changed the coolant on my 95 STS, but forgot to put Bars Leak Gold. Can I add it now, after I put 50 miles after the last change? Please advise.

Thanks

1960 Sedan De Ville (sold)

1970 Coupe De Ville (sold)

1987 Mazda RX-7 (sold)

Do I really NEED to add it? I do not have any leaks. Why is it so impotrant? I looked at the archives, but nobody explained what will happened if I do no add Bar's Leak Gold. Please advise.

1987 Mazda RX-7 (sold)

If your engine is the Northstar, you gotta add it. The engine is all aluminum and it requires the lubrication and the leak protection of the bars leak gold. Go get 2 tubes at walmart and drop them in.. If your cap is on the radiator itself you can add it there, if your cap is on the surge tank you must remove the lower hose and drop them in there.

Thanks, I'll add it today. I have a cap at the radiator, so I'll add it there, but I may then overflow it. Should I keep the car running for a few minutes so that the bars leak gold circulates evenly?

1987 Mazda RX-7 (sold)

You could let it warm up to temp with the cap open and that should lower the fluid enough for you to pour it in (at least it did on older cars i had with the cap on the radiator itself). pour the tubes in and put the cap back on and let it idle for 10 minutes or so or go drive around. Just make sure you don't add it to the overflow tank because you want it to go right into circulation.. Use the bars leak gold tubes which are powdered and you won't have to chop anything up

Thanks, I'll add it today. I have a cap at the radiator, so I'll add it there, but I may then overflow it. Should I keep the car running for a few minutes so that the bars leak gold circulates evenly?

The only rad cap on the Northstar engine is the surge tank. You do not want to add the sealer there or it will clog up the surge tank. The Bar's Leaks must be added to the radiator hose or it will not be distributed properly.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

The only problem is that I do not have a Walmart anywhere near, in Manhattan. Where else should I look for it?

Thanks again.

1987 Mazda RX-7 (sold)

It should be available at any of the discount stores. If not, go to any GM dealer and ask for the "Supplemental Cooling System Sealant pellets".

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Well, I got the bars leak tablets, chopped them and add them to the surge tank thinking that I am adding it to the radiator itself. What should I do now? I think I should drain the coolant again and since it has the bars leak already, pour it back in. I hate doing things twice, but that what is the outcome of being a fool. Please advise.

1987 Mazda RX-7 (sold)

take the surge tank off and dump it out then put it back on then take the radiator hose off and pour what you dumped out into it :) (probaly have to drain some to get to that level though so open the radiator drain and drain it into another bucker, then close the drain pour the stuff u drained from the tank into the hose, then pour the rest back into the tank :) annoying but it will work

While you have the surge tank off, wouldn't hurt to clean it out either. blast it out wit the hose then empty it. Make sure the mixture is always 50/50 unless you are in an area that gets super super cold :>

Thanks again for the advice. I think I will just drain the coolant then add the bars leak through the hose, and pur coolant back through the surge tank. I'll bother with the surge tank next time I change the coolant in 2 years (I find it complicated to take it out). What do you think, is that wise?

1987 Mazda RX-7 (sold)

Sure.. I suppose you could just empty the whole thing and refill it with what you emptied and it may flush out the surge tank and get the stuff in there but the tanks (at least mine) seem to have a maze type of thing going on inside which is really annoying to clean out and it gets gobs of the stuff built up in it..

Your best bet is to drain into a clean bucket, put 1 tube into the hose, then refill through the tank with the stuff in your bucket. should take care of it

Thanks Bigfoo, I appreciate your advices. It is amazing how much you can learn on these message boards. A few days ago I did not have a clue about changing coolant on my 95 STS, and now I have all knowledge needed. It looks like the easiest thing to do, but if you don't do it right, the Caddy can suffer big time. Thanks again.

1987 Mazda RX-7 (sold)

Archived