CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

PCM Programming Options

Hey All,

Just a curiosity question,

Do we have any idea what is possible with the Driver Information Center? I mean, I know we have a built-in interface to the PCM through the DIC which allows us to do things like pull error codes without plugging in another computer, but what else is out there? What all can we customize with this interface?

I was messing with the rear suspension controls with it the other day and I do believe I found how to either stiffen/soften the rear suspension, Or I may have simply increased/decreased the ride height. I was tired and not paying close attention (it wasn't very important to me).

Is it possible to adjust the timing at all, for instance? Just wondering. Thanks!

Mark

• 5 weeks later...

wouldnt we all like to know more. I wish there was a magical manual to show us all of the capabilities of our cadillacs

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

There is a whole section in the FSM about override codes. Many of the car's options can be enabled from the A/C controls, for example, as are all of the DIC information entries. There are threads here on enabling the engine temperature reading. In the 1997 FSM, this is in Sectin 8C1, Instrument Panel Cluster. The procedure for reading codes is under the subheading "Displaying IPC Diagnostic Trouble Codes:" on page 8C1-19, followed by pages and pages of what the data readouts mean, so you can read a lot more than the diagnostic codes and use that information to find and fix problems. More information is available in serveal pages of tables in section 6, on the engine, but most of that isn't available without a code reader that has a terminal, like a PC-based code reader or a Tech II.

One subheading, "IPC Override Displays" on page 8C1-21, tells how to change the override controls. There is a big warning there, about changing overrides and not storing them properly, which will set DTC B1557 (EEPROM Calibration Error) which will irrevocably brick your IPC, and how to get out of the diagnostic mode safely if everything does not go right.

The heading "STATUS MESSAGES" on page 8C1-9 through 8C1-17 list most of the DIC warning messages that can occur. When I had a battery going out, I got one I had never heard of; that's how the dealer knew that I needed a battery.

But, to answer your question, I see overrides to set the export country, vehicle options, and DIC data readouts when you step through the data options (analog display; they are all there at the same time with the digital display), but I don't seen anything about overrides or parameters for the rear suspension, or the suspension at all. That doesn't mean that they aren't there, or that they aren't in the FSM, it just means that I didn't turn them up in the 1997 year model FSM today.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Thanks a bunch for the answers!

Interesting Jim. You've definately shed some light on this topic and I really appreciate it.

I can actually slightly change the rear ride height on my 93, but it goes away when I shut down, so I don't think I'm storing anything. Not that I mind, really. I was just curious to see what was out there.

It would be interesting to see the differences in this regard between OBD1 and OBD2. My car is OBD1, so I suspect ours are slightly different.

Thanks a bunch for your time!

Mark

For a good time, read the Wikipedia article on OBD:

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Archived