CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Brake Pads

adallak

I have recently noticed some shortage of braking ability and took the calipers apart.

One of the inner pads (front brake) was like new the outer was practically gone. There was enough silicon high temperature greas in the caliper pins bushings and the pins looked fine... A mistery! I put new pads and lubricated everything again.

What could cause that type of wear? what else I should have done to have the pads wearing evenly? Thanks in advance.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Moisture in the fluid causing the piston or wall to rust and hang the piston resulting in the piston not completely releasing after brake application. That happened to me many years ago after driving though water that I shouldn't have. Took about 3-4 months to show up. I had to hone the caliper bore and replace the piston & seal.

Another cause is lack of lubrication on the caliper slides. Be sure to grease the caliper pins/bolts real well.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

LG and jadcock, thanks!

Replaced the same caliper two years ago with a reman. one (cardone). They seem to be not good. I will have to do it again since pins are really good and well lubricated.

adallak

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Archived