CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

A Sad Storage Tale

WarrenJ

Absent the gory details, I'll simply say that the Eldorado went into a storage facility last week. It won't be emerging until the first week of November. Let's call it 90 days in round numbers.

This occurred suddenly and I wasn't prepared for it . I simply rented a place and drove it head-on into the garage. Since, I've had the good sense to turn it around such that it is pointing nose outwards so that a battery jump would be easier as/when it is required.

The baby is near by so I can visit the Eldorado without difficulty.

Any suggestions regarding how I might better store baby for 90 days?

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Disconnect the negative battery terminal. You probably should have changed the oil prior to storage.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

As Kevin said disconnect the battery, don't go by and 'warm' it up, as bbobynski says, the engine does not get hot enough to burn the impurities out of the oil. As Kevin said, a fresh oil change would be good. I don't think 90 days is long enough to have to put the car up on blocks or jack stands so as to not create a flat spot on the tires nor do I think that the gas will become unstable... Dry gas? Good Luck, Mike

Shoot..I've got vehicles that sit around longer than that sometimes...I basically do nothing to them. As long as it's a good quality battery, (which they all are, they fire right up). But, like Kevin says, it's probably a good idea to disconnect the negative battery lead to isloate any parasitic drains over long term. It really depends on the car. Some of the older stuff have very little on board electronics. I'm just lazy, I hate reprograming radios and clocks if it's only a few months or so.. <_<

The most important thing is DO NOT start the motor just to "preserve" it. Once it's fired up, it needs to go for a good 'hot' ride.

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

As Kevin said disconnect the battery, don't go by and 'warm' it up, as bbobynski says, the engine does not get hot enough to burn the impurities out of the oil. As Kevin said, a fresh oil change would be good. I don't think 90 days is long enough to have to put the car up on blocks or jack stands so as to not create a flat spot on the tires nor do I think that the gas will become unstable... Dry gas? Good Luck, Mike

I wouldn't bother with jackstands - I never have with my Fleetwood and it gets stored from November until April and I have not noticed any flat spots on the tires.

I think flat spots on the tires stem from the pre-radial tire days...

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived