CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Painted Mufflers (Again)

JasonA

As it turns out, the mufflers on a '97 SLS probably need a good coat of high-temp black about once a year. ...At least, that's how often I've had to repaint mine. Really makes a big difference. I wouldn't mine a nice set of polished mufflers, but I can't justify breaking apart this wonderful stainless steel OE system. 7 years and 136,000 miles old, and through Virginia winters (where they salt at the hint of flurries). I'm very impressed with how well this car has held up in general over the years...especially this factory exhaust system.

Before:

http://jadcock.oldsgmail.com/cadsls/bb/muffs_bef.jpg

After:

http://jadcock.oldsgmail.com/cadsls/bb/muffs_aft.jpg

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Wow, 7 years and 136k is pretty good for muffler life. I know what you mean about wanting new mufflers but not being able to pry off perfectly good ones. My 98 Tahoe is still all original with 152K and it looks like new yet! I would love to put full duals on that truck. Dual cats and then into a single drum muffler is a shame! :blink:

I painted my Dynomax's on the Eldorado with that bright alum. PR20 heat resistant paint, and I love the way it looks. It way be a little too flashy for some, but I like to show off those new cannons! :P Need to take a lower angle pic to really show them better. I was surprised to see how angled in both of you mufflers are. That SLS exhaust is laid out a bit different than mine.

post-3-1091935462.jpg

'09 Cadillac CTS-4 3.6 direct injection, 128 K mi.
'15 Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 5.3i V8, 125 K mi
'70 Firebird Formula 400, Bored+.04, RAIII heads, M21 4spd., in-process restoration!

spruce, i'm stealing your tips tonight. . are those APC ?

..wouldnt it be messed up if somebody did, id have a hard time explaining that one to the police. lol

While were on the muffler thing, what do you all say.. save $1k for a borla/corsa or go ahead and get dynomax. Unfortuanly my exhaust isnt as sexy as jads. even in Florida.

Looks good! And nice driveway! I also can't stand the look of dirty mufflers, They are so visable on a Caddy. I also use the High Heat paint, so far what ever they have seems to work like they say.

I have a factory type aftermarket muffler on my car, I don't know what I had, but the HP sure did drop withthe new ones. Anyone have a suggestion on what to get that sounds good at throttle but I can still sneak around with? Flowmasters?

Mike

>  Anyone have a suggestion on what to get that sounds good at throttle but I can still sneak around with?  Flowmasters?  <

Mike

Dynomax Super Turbos. They'll give you everything you're looking for, at a reasonable price. You won't be sorry with these. They have a nice mellow rumble at idle, a very acceptable low hum at cruising speed, and a killer roar at WOT. The best thing about them is as they're turning heads when you jump on it, the sound level is still decent in the cabin. All this and more HP?... ;)

PS, Flowmasters? Been there, done that. IMO, way too loud for a Cadillac.

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

spruce, i'm stealing your tips tonight. . are those APC ?

..wouldnt it be messed up if somebody did, id have a hard time explaining that one to the police. lol

While were on the muffler thing, what do you all say.. save $1k for a borla/corsa or go ahead and get dynomax. Unfortuanly my exhaust isnt as sexy as jads. even in Florida.

Caddyshack24,

I have a perimeter of electrified razor-wire surrounding my Caddy, effective immediately! :P Those tips would be hard to get off, now that they are welded on!

I bought them on Ebay, but they are from Lawson Industries. Here is the link, they are part no. 55157.

http://www.lawsonindustries.com/exhaust%20mainframe.htm

I couldn't justify paying $1K for a borla sys., but I sure love this set of Dyno's. I don't think they make a Borla system for Eldorados. I'm sure they sound very nice though! :)

I agree, Flowmasters are in a different catagory, they belong on a Mustang, Firebird, or Camaro. There will be no sneaking around with those on! :ph34r: Like Bob D. says, I feel my Dyno's have a fantastic sound at WOT, and are not to loud at cruising speed at all.

'09 Cadillac CTS-4 3.6 direct injection, 128 K mi.
'15 Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 5.3i V8, 125 K mi
'70 Firebird Formula 400, Bored+.04, RAIII heads, M21 4spd., in-process restoration!

Hey Jason, I like those ramps, low profile also, where did you get them? Did you back up on them, or jack up the car and put them under? Mike

I got them at Advance. They're plastic, with a rubber foot under the front of the ramp so's they don't slide when you hit 'em. They have a pretty good support system under them, and they're good for 10,000 pounds (each, I would guess). I can pull up on 'em, or back up, and each is just as easy. I backed up on to them for painting the exhaust.

I have a factory type aftermarket muffler on my car, I don't know what I had, but the HP sure did drop withthe new ones. Anyone have a suggestion on what to get that sounds good at throttle but I can still sneak around with? Flowmasters?

I really like a pair of Borlas or Edelbrocks. Full stainless steel, and super high quality. You pay for it, but they're super mufflers. If I ever do replace mine, I think I'll get a pair of Edelbrocks probably. Skip the Flowmasters, if you don't care for the noise. You'll get better performance from other mufflers, without all the shouting. Remember, Cadillacs are all about going fast with class! B)

I put a pair of Magnaflow polished muffler/tip combo on mine . It didn't have a resonator & after a week I realized I needed one (droning ) . I'm tickled w/ how it turned out in the end . I have looks :D . I have a nice rumble at idle :lol: . I have great sound a WOT :D . The only thing I don't have is pics , when I post them they are tiny , how do you post the BIG pics ? :unsure:

Archived