CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

I am looking at purchasing an orginal owner 1999 DeVille D' Elegance. It has 107000 miles on it. What should I be concerned about? I am new to this style Caddy. I have owned a 78 Sedan Deville and and 87 Fleetwood, but nothing like this. The owner has recently replaced the Power steering pump, altenator, water pump, brake pads, rear rotors and the Vehcile speed sensor. My last vehicle a 97 Buick Park Avenue died at 208,000 miles. Will this vehicle make it this long fairly trouble free? It is in excellent shape. Has spent winters in Floriday and been garaged. I am real handy and have restored some older vehicles. I just need an idea of what I am getting into, what I should look for the asking price is in the high 3000 range. I am new here, but appreciate any help or pointers

Find out why the water pump was replaced. Have the cooling system tested for combustion gasses. If it fails the test, it is a $500.00 car since it will require head gasket replacement which is a lot of work and about $800.00 in parts if you do the work yourself. Probably $3500.00 at a stealership to do the same work and then you don't know if they install the inserts correctly... You can have any radiator shop test the cooling system for combustion gasses or buy the kit at Napa for $50.00.

If the car passes the combustion gas test, it sounds like a really nice car.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Whenever considering the purchase of a used car that is not known to you it is best to have an independent pre-purchase inspection done. This should result in a list of items that can be attended to. There are services such as 'Lemon busters' or similar, or you can engage a trusted mechanic to inspect the car. Your local Cadillac dealer may also be willing to conduct a pre-purchase inspection for you. I have found that inspections of this sort cost around $100. In cases in which I paid for the inspection but then decided not to purchase the car I felt that the $100 was especially well spent.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Archived