CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

power flush tranny/fuel system "scrub"

;) Hi

I have a little over 101k miles & my mechanic (small shop )recommends that I get a power flush done on the tranny . Car had 90k on when I got it . Fluid is still red , doesn't smell burnt , stinks like regular fluid . He also recommends a "serious " fuel injection cleaning (my friend got his truck done & gained 1-2 mpg )is there any chance of damage from either possible ? :huh:

Lots of mechanics these days are recommending these types of services to stimulate revenues. They also have been recommending power steering flushes. My answer to them would be, funny my manual does not recommend that!

The tranny flush is a definate no no, its not possible for them to fully purge the machine of debris they flushed from the prior tranny, so I would say no... However, if you wanted to have the tranny fluid and filters changed the old fashion way that is fine, no flushing...

Do you have any symptoms that would cause you to need to have your injectors 'cleaned' if you don't I would not do it. Some here have done the process I will note and have reported good things, but unless its necessary I would nix the idea. My 2 cents, Mike

I agree with Mike. Since tune ups have gone the way of the carburator these shops need to generate buisness. If it ain't broke, don't fix it (injectors). Search the archives for transmition flush. It is a no-no. Below are a few examples. Run, don't walk away from anyone who recomends one.

http://www.bonnevilleclub.com/forum/viewto...p=233552#233552

http://www.bonnevilleclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21979

If you need to change the trans. fluid, just drop the pan, clean the magnet & screens and refill with clean Dexron 3. I would not let anyone "flush" my transmission.

Save your money on the fuel injector cleaning as well. You might want to put the money toward a coolant drain and refill if it's been more than two years since the coolant was changed.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I just changed my tranny fluid a few months ago and it already smells funny like burnt plastic.. Still nice and red though :) I used synthetic D4 atf. I changed it after 70k miles, it wasn't red any more. The DIC hardly ever decrements the tranny life indicator , either that or mine's broken as it's still at 100%.

Any idea why it would smell like that so soon?

bigfoo,

Quote bigfoo: "Any idea why it would smell like that so soon? "

You kill me.. :lol::lol:

Quote bigfoo: " Best way to diagnose the problem (for me anyway) is to break it :> Beat on it real hard until something breaks or makes lots of noise and then it's real easy to tell what it is heheh.

Ya, I have an idea...Maybe it happens when you are beating the hell out of it so it will make noise so you can tell whats wrong with it!!!! :lol: ;)

Hey bigfoo,

Please don't take offense to my posting...

Did you get your sense of humor in Cleveland, or Columbus?

I'm still laughing! :lol::lol::lol:

Hahahaha....... well that's how I fix stuff :) I drive crazy and listen and feel for problems. Usually they show up and can be identified by real hard driving rather than just idling around. I'm glad you found it humorous.. it was supposed to be :> I got my sense of humor in florida :)

Archived