CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Is it a big deal?

The STS is still running strong at 212,000 miles. Thanks in no small part to this forum. In fact, I can’t find any place to get answers like I have gotten here. Although this question is not about the old STS, it could benefit the Caddy owners also. Here's the deal... I had put around 5,000 miles on my latest vehicle when I noticed that it has green antifreeze. Book says Dexcool only. The cooling system seems to function just fine. This summer it saw traffic jams in Atlanta, Florida heat, and steep mountain driving in NC, with no overheating. Other than changing the coolant more often, what problems, if any should I anticipate? Sorry for sutch a long post. *BTW it's a 99 chevy crew with 454. (work truck)

Other than more frequent changes I seem to recall Guru saying that the silicates tend to wear the water pump seal more quickly so you may change the pump a little sooner. Otherwise no difference.

Yeah, the cooling properties of the two coolants (which are both ethylene glycol-based by the way) are the same. The green coolant has silicates for corrosion inhibitors, and these silicates degrade over time, requiring more frequent coolant changes for complete system protection. Dexcool has organic corrosion inhibitors which do not deplete nearly as quickly, allowing for 5 year or 150,000 mile change intervals. Don't attempt that with the green stuff!

If you just bought the Chevy, and don't know when the coolant was changed, go ahead and change it, and just put in the green stuff if that's what's in it now. Who knows how long the green stuff has been in there...Dexcool was the factory fill, but sometimes people do strange things.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

The only thing you guys are forgetting is the aluminum heads or block, or radiator/heater core. The corrosion inhibitors in the Dexcool were spec'd specifically for the aluminum alloy that GM uses for these items. As I recall the story, once the silicates are introduced, the long life aspects of the Dexcool are forever gone, quite possibly because of the water pump seal issue. BUT the protection aforded by the Dexcool to the aluminum parts will be restored. A little detail about reducing hotspots in the aluminum heads due to the silicates hardening or conglomerating in these areas was also mentioned. SO, where this would lead me, is to replace the coolant with the proper Dexcool 50/50 mix, BUT replace it every 2 years, just as you would the green stuff. My .04 as usual.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

It's been reported here (by Bbobynski) that once silicates are introduced into the system, you get no added benefit by returning to Dexcool or another long-life coolant. Many aluminum block or head engines are still coming out of the factory today (from other OEs) with green coolant -- and you usually have to change out after the 4th year, and then every 2 years after that, or some similar schedule. It's true that Dexcool is definitely preferrable in this case, but based on previous information here, once silicates are introduced, Dexcool has no added benefit being in the system.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Archived