CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Hmmm.....gotta love that GM Tech2

Logan

2001 Deville. Last couple of days have had a hard PO300 show up 2 times. One time with flashing SES warning of cat damage...hmmmm

Tried the Tech2 today. No miss today....but.....over a 20 mile drive #6 is showing some kind of issue. These misfires could not be felt...but the Tech2 is showing something is amiss with #6.

1092872411783_tech2.jpg

Great tool. Try that with the on board diagnostics.

Too bad the dealerships will never take the time to learn how to use it properly. But, just in case they do, how exactly does the Tech2 determine that there was a missfire event? And on one cylinder yet!

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Just got back from the store with a couple of new plugs. I hope its a plug issue and not a coil module issue. The 2001 does not use plug wires....it uses a rather large and $$$ 400 dollar coil module.

Anyway, the PCM can 'see' the crank slow down if there is a misfire. And set a PO300 misfire code.

Too bad the dealerships will never take the time to learn how to use it properly.  But, just in case they do, how exactly does the Tech2 determine that there was a missfire event?  And on one cylinder yet!

Huh? I think that dealership technicians are quite capable of using the Tech 2. We only have to use it all day long every day, depending on what area you work in. I don't use it as much as the driveability guys, but we still have to be fairly familiar with it. Using the misfire graph is pretty basic stuff.

Ian

Hmmm...just changed #6 plug. NPF. Looks like a coil board issue. Oh well...pretty good idea whats going on.

Hope I can find one on eBay. They are $400.

post-3-1091070992.gif

As for PO300. This code comes up all the time......maybe the # code with OBDII.

Heres the tech..

The powertrain control module (PCM) uses information from the crankshaft position (CKP) sensors and the camshaft (CMP) sensor in order to determine when an engine misfire is occurring. By monitoring variations in the crankshaft rotation speed for each cylinder, the PCM is able to detect individual misfire events. A misfire rate that is high enough can cause three-way catalytic converter damage. The malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) will flash ON and OFF when the conditions for catalytic converter damage are present.

That should say.....perhaps the #1 code with ODBII. PO300 is the most common code with GM cars.

Huh? I think that dealership technicians are quite capable of using the Tech 2. We only have to use it all day long every day, depending on what area you work in. I don't use it as much as the driveability guys, but we still have to be fairly familiar with it. Using the misfire graph is pretty basic stuff.

I knew I could count on at least one comment from a mech. I just hear the horror stories and see what some of the dealerships are capable of, and it leads me to think that a Tech 2 is a little beyond the grasp of most mechanics. As you have said before though, it's all about making book. If this gizmo is going to help, you're all for it. Please don't take this personally, I'm sure you are a fine mechanic, genuinely concerned with customer satisfaction and taking a great deal of personal pride in your work. It took about 3 years for all of the grease and dirt to finally work it's way out of the skin on my fingers. I NEVER have gone to a dealership for anything outside of warranty work (which was screwed up) so I can't be considered a judge by any means. It is sorta like giving Caddy's a bad rap because everything we read here is the result of some type of problem. That makes me guilty of stereotyping, for which I apologize. Thanks for the "tech" on this gizmo Logan, I would have never guessed. Just goes to show the amount of thought that goes in to making a great car.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Unfortunately the misfire codes only show up if there are enough misfires to affect the emissions system. I wish it would give a code even if there were a little teeny bit of misfires :/ I need to get that software for the computer that emulates the tech2 :) and much less expensive too

Archived