CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Solved "popping" noise

STS Scott

I went for a drive with my mechanic today to diagnose the "popping" noise heard when parking.

It turns out it was not steering related, but the brakes. Apparently the pads "shift" forward and back upon hitting the brakes for the first time in each direction. Once they are seated, they should not "pop" again 'till you change direction.

He told me lots of other cars do this (not to my knowledge), and it is a trate of the car to live with. The volume of the sound is loud enough sometimes to make people look to see what I hit... sort of embarassing.

Any comments on this "situation"? I'm not sure that this "brake pad shifting" deal is regular by any means!

Thanks for any feed back!

" ...'took my Cobra down t' the track, hitched to the back o' my Cadillac..."

- Jan & Dean, 'hey little cobra'

Scott

Any comments on this "situation"? I'm not sure that this "brake pad shifting" deal is regular by any means!

I've heard of brake pads shifting...indeed, it's included in the service manual I think. I've never had it happen to me personally though. Do you have any anti-squeal compound? It doesn't take much to shift the pads when they're not applied like that, so the compound might be just enough to hold them in place.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I do not recall if the FWD brake pads are required to be clinched but the RWD shop manual states that the outer pad must be clinched. Wedge the pad up with a chisel and use a hammer and punch to bend the tab against the caliper.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I have never heard of nor expirienced this. Are we talking about the fronts or rears? If rear, check to see that the detents on the piston face are at 12 & 6 o'clock position relative to the caliper so that the nipples on the back of the pads are seated in them.

It is the front brakes we are dealing with here.

I have never heard of anti-squeal compound though.

Thanks for the responses guys! I will investigate both the compound and the clinching next time the car is on the hoist. That will probably be next week, for the belt tensioner is clicking, and needs replacement.

" ...'took my Cobra down t' the track, hitched to the back o' my Cadillac..."

- Jan & Dean, 'hey little cobra'

Scott

Yeah, they have "anti squeel compound" that is applied to the back of the brake pads but I have never found it to work. The pads get very hot and it burns off before very long. My experience has been squeeky brakes are caused by the compound used in the pad setting up a vibration and the only fix is different (usually better) pads.

I went for a drive with my mechanic today to diagnose the "popping" noise heard when parking.

It turns out it was not steering related, but the brakes. Apparently the pads "shift" forward and back upon hitting the brakes for the first time in each direction. Once they are seated, they should not "pop" again 'till you change direction.

He told me lots of other cars do this (not to my knowledge), and it is a trate of the car to live with. The volume of the sound is loud enough sometimes to make people look to see what I hit... sort of embarassing.

Thanks for any feed back!

While it's possible that you have brake pads "shifting" back and forth making

your noise, this is not normal. On your vehicle, the brake pads are held in place by spring type clips and are not "clinched" in place. But they should not move around and make a noise like you are describing. I think you may need to get it more closely inspected and diagnosed. By the way, if you have problems with brake pads that squeal, the very best way to deal with this is to remove the pads and install the same silicone lubricant that is used on the caliper slider bolts and apply this stuff to the area of the brake pads that contact the piston and the caliper. This works much better then any "anti-squeal" membrane that is sold. Remember, the lubricant goes on the "back" of the pads.

Ian

Yea a loud popping is definitely not normal.. I would hope that you don't have a broken rotor or caliper bracket or maybe one of the screws is loose (if it's the brakes at all). I guess a good way to check would be to go in reverse and hit the brakes then go forward and hit and then reverse again etc and hit it pretty hard and see what happens. Best way to diagnose the problem (for me anyway) is to break it :> Beat on it real hard until something breaks or makes lots of noise and then it's real easy to tell what it is heheh.

Best way to diagnose the problem (for me anyway) is to break it :> Beat on it real hard until something breaks or makes lots of noise and then it's real easy to tell what it is heheh.

:lol::lol::lol: Bigfoo,

What the noise is going to be is you hitting something!

:lol::lol:

ahahah.. well if you can't see anything wrong by visually inspecting then u have to localize the noise/problem by making it happen a lot and of course not running into anything! HEHehe

Archived