CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

04 Deville Stalling, crankshaft sensor? Also-window regulators!

My 04 Deville started stalling at stops a few weeks ago, it starts back up fine. A few weeks ago the service engine soon light came on, but it went off when I turned the engine off and never came on again. Could a crankshaft sensor be the problem in an 04?

Also - my window regulators keep breaking. A window will be put down a bit, then it just falls into the door and won't go back up. It's happened to 3 different windows now! It's costing around 360. to fix. I had one fixed a few weeks ago, then another broke last week - still not fixed. Anyone ever take the door apart and fix it themselves? I can't afford all these repairs at once! Along with over 300. to register my car (CA) ARRRGGG!

You need to extract DTC codes, the PCM will have codes set if there is a crank sensor problem.

Go to this page and follow the directions for an 04 Deville

http://www.caddyinfo.com/readingcodes.html

Post the codes here, it will help us diagnose your problem

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Please do post the codes, the Crankshaft Position sensors [CKPS] don't always post a code though - Mine finally did after about 100 stalls or so, but then the codes went away. So it can be intermittent.

There are several folks who posted the repair procedure for CKPS, mine I did three months ago if you search this site 03 DHS Stalling.

On your Window repair, if a Caddy dealer or reputable repair shop fixed it and it broke take it back and make sure they fix it right this time. I had my pass front side window regulator fixed two years ago at a Caddy dealer and no problems.

Good luck

My 04 Deville started stalling at stops a few weeks ago, it starts back up fine. A few weeks ago the service engine soon light came on, but it went off when I turned the engine off and never came on again. Could a crankshaft sensor be the problem in an 04?

Not common in an '04, but it has the symptoms.

No code came up...stalled once today at a light and took a few times to get it to restart(almost missed the light)

Mike - the windows are all different - drivers last year, rear passanger a few weeks ago, front passanger last week - just bad luck I guess.

Ok, I just did the codes again there were 2,

IRC U1016 History

&

PDM B3832 History

What is History for? is there a way to pull it up? I don't see PDM on the list in the code link, what is it?

Thanks

U1016 - Loss of Communications with PCM - maybe to do with the previous code clearing from a couple of hours ago? What's this about???

B3832 - Window Position Sensor Circuit- LOL - for the window that fell in the door, obviously!

No code came up...stalled once today at a light and took a few times to get it to restart(almost missed the light)

Mike - the windows are all different - drivers last year, rear passanger a few weeks ago, front passanger last week - just bad luck I guess.

Sorry about the Window regulators- I had to have Caddy dealer fix one in my wife's 01 Deville and one in my 03 DHS. so not a unknown problem for this model although seems excessive in your case.

You should be able to repair it if you can get the service manual for your year.

So more questions-

On the stalling, does it happen only at idle, or at any RPM/ speed?

and how many miles on your Deville?

72K on the car. So far, the stalling's only at an idle once driving (in Drive at stop signs and stop lights) A few times it's happened only once during shortish trips (10 minutes around town), but several days ago it happened about 7 times in a row (every stop) before it stopped doing it.

Ran the codes again and nothing came up...

My husband's not comfortable taking the door apart to fix the regulator. I bought the car used about 4 years ago, & wierdly, when the back window was fixed a few weeks ago, they had a heck of a time getting the panel off as the clips were broken and someone had glued the panel on, so maybe that regulator had broken before I got the car as well, who knows...

Other than the above, I love my Deville - it's got terrific power and is a pleasure to drive (usually!) and is super comfortable.

Ok, I just did the codes again there were 2,

IRC U1016 History

&

PDM B3832 History

What is History for? is there a way to pull it up? I don't see PDM on the list in the code link, what is it?

Thanks

To answer your question, a code becomes history during the next ignition cycle that the problem is not present and the code doesn't set. You can have a code show up as current while the car is running, turn it off and back on, and if the problem that caused the code to set is no longer there, then the code will turn to history. If you run the codes with the car off, then any codes that were set the last time it was running will display as current. (at least that's my experience)

A history code could indicate that the problem is intermittent, or that the problem has "gone away" or been fixed and the code not cleared.

Your symptoms do sound similar to those of a bad crankshaft sensor except that a crankshaft sensor doesn't ALWAYS limit itself to stalling at an idle. It can also cause stumbling/stalling while driving and accelerating, and can cause hard starting (the engine cranks for several seconds before starting, if it starts at all). You can have a bad crankshaft sensor without it setting a code. I've had it happen.

big4870885.jpg

72K on the car. So far, the stalling's only at an idle once driving (in Drive at stop signs and stop lights) A few times it's happened only once during shortish trips (10 minutes around town), but several days ago it happened about 7 times in a row (every stop) before it stopped doing it.

Ran the codes again and nothing came up...

My husband's not comfortable taking the door apart to fix the regulator. I bought the car used about 4 years ago, & wierdly, when the back window was fixed a few weeks ago, they had a heck of a time getting the panel off as the clips were broken and someone had glued the panel on, so maybe that regulator had broken before I got the car as well, who knows...

Other than the above, I love my Deville - it's got terrific power and is a pleasure to drive (usually!) and is super comfortable.

Yes, Devilles are great cars the best Highway/long trip car I've owned.

On your stalling, since it's not setting any codes it's hard to guess the true cause.

[but my 03 DHS CKPS failed at about the 75K mile range.]

My only suggestions would be to be continue monitoring the problem until a code is set , Crankcase Position sensor or otherwise, or go to a good mechanic who knows Cadillacs/ or Caddy dealer and explain the situation to them and ask them to analyze it.

If it is the CKPS, Replacing the CKPS runs between $300-400 in my Caddy Dealer area.

I replaced the two myself for $90 in parts but it is moderately difficult under the car repair.

Archived