CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Blog Post: Competition improves the breed Send more LLT V6 HP

Motor Trend did an early test drive and acceleration test on the 2011 Mustang with 3.7L V6 engine, managing a surprising 0-60 time of 5.1 seconds from the base Mustang.  Why does this matter on a Cadillac blog?The base Mustang competes directly and aggressively with the V6 Chevrolet Camaro.  The current 304 hp V6 Camaro [...]

View the full Blog Post

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

• 2 weeks later...

moderncamaro.com is reporting that the official rating for the LLT V6 in the 2011 Camaro will be 312 hp. Hopefully the CTS V6 will get the same specs.

I was really hoping they would get it pumped up to 335+ hp.

Bruce

moderncamaro.com is reporting that the official rating for the LLT V6 in the 2011 Camaro will be 312 hp. Hopefully the CTS V6 will get the same specs.

I was really hoping they would get it pumped up to 335+ hp.

Anything above what it is now...makes me more and more serious about a 3.6 wagon... instead of a "V" wagon.

:D :D :D

Posted Image

Horsepower increase for V6 engine

The 2011 Camaro V-6 engine completed SAE certification testing and is now officially rated at 312 horsepower at 6500 rpm and 278 lb-ft of torque at 5100 rpm. This rating is eight horsepower higher than the previous year and also marks an increase in torque from the 2010 rating of 273 lb-ft.

“The 304 horsepower in the 2010 Camaro was actually a conservative rating on our end,” said Tom Sutter, GM V-6 chief engineer. “But we knew already that this award-winning engine produced at least the amount of power we stated, but now we’ve gone the extra step in certifying the engine for this application and have verified an additional 8 horsepower.”

The 3.6-liter V-6 with variable valve timing (VVT) and direct injection employs four independent cam phasers to change the timing of valve operation as operating conditions such as rpm and engine load vary. The result is linear delivery of torque, with near-peak levels over a broad rpm range, and high specific output (maximum horsepower per liter of displacement) supporting overall engine response and drivability. When combined, direct-injection and VVT enable an unmatched combination of power, efficiency and low-emissions in gasoline V-6 engines.

SAE certification is a voluntary power and torque certification procedure developed by the SAE Engine Test Code committee. This procedure (J2723) ensures fair, accurate ratings for horsepower and torque by allowing manufacturers to certify their engines through third-party witness testing. Chevrolet was the vehicle brand to begin using the procedure.

Hmm; autoblog adds:

One note: There were no actual changes made to the Camaro's V6 engine that resulted in a power increase. Rather, Chevy says the current 304-hp rating was conservative and a new SAE certification resulted in 312 hp. So that means anyone who bought a 2010 Camaro V6 shouldn't feel shortchanged, as their engine is just as powerful as the 2011 model that will start production on June 7th.

Bruce

hmm; it is possible that the 312 hp is the LLT on premium fuel, and the 304 hp is the LLT on regular unleaded. That would make some sense, and is one of the rumors.

Bruce

hmm; it is possible that the 312 hp is the LLT on premium fuel, and the 304 hp is the LLT on regular unleaded. That would make some sense, and is one of the rumors.

If only my EFI Live would work on the LLT... it would make me decision so much easier...

Neither HP Tuners or EFI Live supports the LLT and form reports are not working on it too hard...darn it.

Both of them support the "V"... and I own EFI Live V2.

Posted Image

From what I have read the Camaro guys manage to tune the LLT on the Camaro, but not sure if it has a different PCM.

Bruce

Archived