CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Service Manual On CD-ROM?

WarrenJ

I have the Helm Inc. service manuals for my '95 Eldorado, but would like to have the same on CD-ROM. It would be helpful, from time to time, to be able to print out certain pages.

The Helm Inc. home page does not offer the option of a CD-ROM purchase. It seems I recall folk around here having mentioned purchasing such a manual on CD-ROM.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Warren,

I see them on Ebay all the time...

Idea seems great. My concern was how well the search function works.

Like you, I chose the book version.. (34.99 + Shipping)

Let us know if it is identical, page for page.

Love it. :wub:

There are some CDs...most on eBay are copies and will not load into your computer without disc errors.

Original GM discs ARE worth a bunch. They will work.

You may also need to download a newer version of Java to get them to work.

It will gobble up 5-6 gig of your hard drive.

That being said....pre 1998 cars....the info is limited to powertrain codes and service bulletins. 1998 and later coverage is fantastic.

As for '94....forget it. Use the Helm service manual.

Are you sure people wern't talking about the AllData CD rom? I had one of those for a car I once owned. Didn't totally suck, but not enough detail to do any serious work.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

The 'popular mechanics' Alldata CDs are a joke.

I think we are talking about the GM dealership ESI CDS...newer ones are called SI2000.

The older ESI setup had you insert a disc for a certian year/model of car....didnt work very good.

The SI2000 is installed onto the hard drive. It does take 5-6 g to install....but works very well. As mentioned...most eBay CDR copies have fatal errors from burning them too fast. Cab errors etc. Pay the extra for a original GM set.

Its like having the complete GM service manual for all models...1998 and newer, everything....bulletins...diagrams....any circuit....basically the complete GM line...including Saturn.

'96-97...limited to powertrain diagnostics and codes.

'95 and older. Just TSBs/ bulletins.

Sample: I cant show the pictures....but heres the cylinder head replacement procedure on a Hummer H2....its all there....

Cylinder Head Replacement - Left

Tools Required

J 42385-200 Thread Repair Kit

J 45059 Angle Meter

Removal Procedure

Remove the generator bracket. Refer to Generator Replacement in Engine Electrical.

Remove the coolant air bleed pipe. Refer to Coolant Air Bleed Pipe Assembly Replacement in Engine Cooling.

Remove the left exhaust manifold. Refer to Exhaust Manifold Replacement - Left in Engine Exhaust.

Remove the pushrods. Refer to Valve Rocker Arm and Push Rod Replacement .

Important

The cylinder head bolts are NOT reusable.

Remove the cylinder head bolts.

Notice

After removal, place the cylinder head on two wood blocks to prevent damage to the sealing surfaces.

Remove the cylinder head.

Remove the cylinder head gasket.

Discard the gasket.

Discard the cylinder head bolts.

Clean and inspect the cylinder head. Refer to Cylinder Head Cleaning and Inspection .

Installation Procedure

Caution

Wear safety glasses in order to avoid eye damage.

Notice

Clean all dirt, debris, and coolant from the engine block cylinder head bolt holes. Failure to remove all foreign material may result in damaged threads, improperly tightened fasteners or damage to components.

Important

Do not reuse the cylinder head bolts. Install NEW cylinder head bolts during assembly.

Do not use any type of sealant on the cylinder head gasket (unless specified).

The cylinder head gaskets must be installed in the proper direction and position.

Clean the engine block cylinder head bolt holes (if required). Thread repair tool J 42385-107, found in J 42385-200 may be used to clean the threads of old threadlocking material.

Use spray cleaner GM P/N 12346139, P/N 12377981, (Canadian P/N 10953463) or equivalent into the hole.

Clean the cylinder head bolt holes with compressed air.

Check the cylinder head locating pins for proper installation.

Important

When properly installed, the tab on the left cylinder head gasket will be located left of center or closer to the front of the engine.

Install the NEW left cylinder head gasket onto the locating pins.

Install the cylinder head onto the locating pins and gasket.

Install the NEW cylinder head bolts.

Notice

Refer to Fastener Notice in Cautions and Notices.

Tighten the cylinder head bolts. Tighten

Tighten the M11 cylinder head bolts a first pass in sequence to 30 N·m (22 lb ft).

Tighten the M11 cylinder head bolts a second pass in sequence to 90 degrees using J 45059 .

Tighten the M11 cylinder head bolts (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8) to 90 degrees and the M11 cylinder head bolts (9 and 10) to 50 degrees a final pass in sequence using J 45059 .

Tighten the M8 cylinder head bolts (11,12,13,14,15) to 30 N·m (22 lb ft). Begin with the center bolt (11) and alternating side-to-side, work outward tightening all of the bolts.

The cylinder head gasket displacement can be verified by markings visible on the top side of the left gasket locating tab.

Some 4.8/5.3 L head gaskets may have 53 stamped onto the locating tab.

Some 6.0 L head gaskets may have 60 stamped onto the locating tab.

Install the pushrods. Refer to Valve Rocker Arm and Push Rod Replacement .

Install the left exhaust manifold. Refer to Exhaust Manifold Replacement - Left in Engine Exhaust.

Install the coolant air bleed pipe. Refer to Coolant Air Bleed Pipe Assembly Replacement in Engine Cooling.

Install the generator bracket. Refer to Generator Replacement in Engine Electrical.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Document ID# 854791

2004 HUMMER H2

Archived