CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

ECT (Engine Coolant Temp) sensor

Vince P

1994 Seville 4.6 SLS

150,000 miles

How do you get to the ECT (Engine Coolant Temparute) sensor. I have tried several different ways and have not as yet suceeded.

My latest thinking is:

1. Drain the Coolant

2. Remove the hose, plastic tube combination that runs from the water pump housing to in front of the ECT sensor

3. Move, to one side, a cable that runs to the throttle body

3. Put my hand from top of the engine past the right side of the brake master cylinder. Then turn my hand at a right angle to the center of the engine.

Will this work?

Is there an easier way to get to the sensor?

I keep getting a P073 History code.

I want to check the connector and wiring first. Then if necessary change the sensor.

In great appreciation

I remain

Vince P

Adallak,

I have cleared it many times. Sometimes it does not show up for a few weeks. Sometimes is shows up every day. It is always a history code. When I monitor the sensor output (in degrees centergrade), it is always reading correctly.

Vince

looks like not too much to worry about... but cooling system is not something to neglect . Let's see what others think about it.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Check this link: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15178

I spent two days changing the temperature sensor. If I was you, I just clear the history codes and wait. If it's not bothering too much, it's better to leave like it is for better time.

I did not remove any hoses, but it was really hard to access to the sensor.

Oldgamer

Thank you for the information and the step by step procedure to get to the ECT sensor. I very much appreciate it and I appreciate the warnings.

I did realize that it would be so complex. I took a careful look my engine again and believe that if I remove the heater hose and plastic sections I can get to the sensor from the top of the eninge.

The next time that I change my coolant, I will try to get to the sensor. If I am sucessful I will write the proceedure for the group.

Again Thank you

Vince P

1994 SLS

150,000 miles

You just have to change it .....really fast. You dont have to mess with the coolant at all....it will be ok.

On a cool engine...have the old sensor unscrewed almost to the last lick....then do the swap by hand with the new sensor. Maybe you will lose 8 ozs or something....nothing to worry about.

Archived