CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1995 sts vs 1995 eldorado

Jim-No such thing as an ESC in 95. Only ETC and "Eldorado".

As for the race(not "raise"), It will depend on the driver, tires, and condition of each car. Eldo has a few pounds less than the STS, but other than that they are identcial. IMO I would not make that bet.

Eldo's are lighter, so most of the time they will beat the STS if they have the same engine but it won't be by any significant margin or anything. Winning is winning though :>

This was explained to me when I first signed on.(if I remember correctly) The 1994-95 SLS and Eldo coupe will have the 275hp motors. The STS and Eldo Touring Coupe will have the 300hp motors. The torque is different in the two moters, and they have different ratios in the transmission. I don't know how they would do against each other but I'm sure there are some fast and then some really fast engines in each horsepower group. 25 horses have to count for something though. If you don't play, you can't win.

Kent

Heres what you do:

Clean out your trunk,

If you can, put stuff in his trunk,

Race almost on Empty,

Fill tires up

Deflate his a little.

Its not cheating, its strategic thinking.

LOL

"Cadillac, it's not a car, it's an obsession"

-W.Kingdon

Both cars (and drivers) running at peak..... my money's on the 95sts (did I mention I was looking for one). About 400lbs lighter then other sts's and smoother intake ( I believe). If you're a believer of the speed graphs (0-60 and 1/4 mile) then you can see why. However..... I wonder why you would want to race or is it "raise" another caddy. Something just isn't "kosher" with racing another caddy.

-kg

208,000 miles

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

Not to change the subject, but exactly which gas is the best gas?  Mobil, Exxon, Phillips 66, Texaco, Fina, etc.?

By the way, I'm betting on the STS also.

For racing purposes . . . . highest octane in a name brand? Eldorado (and prejudiced) owner here.

The Eldorado is lighter and, as Guru his own self has pointed out (I think), most of the torque/horsepower in the 300hp engine doesn't come into play until past 5500 rpm or so. Of course, the final drive ratio is not in your favor. Run him zero to sixty and follow Cupillac's instructions religiously. ;)

Regards,

Warren

P.S. Leave the cash at home, especially if your buddy has any "Christmas Tree" experience.

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

0-60...??? What kind of raise is that....LOL

Dead dig, quarter mile. Bet on the STS. The HP will take over after first gear is over.

Run the STS 20-80mph if you want to suffer an embarassment. Run the STS in the 1/4 mile if you want to see a couple of car lengths worth of embarassment.

Guru, I suggested a zero to sixty "raise" to minimize embarrasment. Please note that I made particular reference to Cupillac's wisely offered advice. ;)

Regards,

Warren

P.S. How are all those Hodnas out there? ;)

P.P.S. I'm startin' to like this emoticon.

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Quite being a *smurf* and worring about who is going to win and race him and report back.

The man has a point . . . .

"Worring"? Is that like "raise?"

Sorry, Guru, couldn't help myself,

Warren ;)

P.S. Thanks for all your help, Guru. ;)

Posted Image

I have a 97 ETC.. just got tuned up and in pretty good condition at 110k miles.. I raced an STS, I believe a 96 (judging by the rims/look/etc) but may have been different.

This was from dead stop and we both agreed to "punch it" is what he said. Rolled up my windows... and took off at green.. maybe have been a little short of a 1/4 mile.. but i pulled in front after a little back and forth..

So... it may as well been other factors like tire/gas/engine condition/etc.. but the ETC won :) And I was happy.

Eldo's are cool.

What you should do is run them both from a dead stand still until one or the other just flat run out of steam.

Easier said than done though, because the street is certainly not the place to conduct this experiment.

Something that may be interesting would be to do several experiments. !/4 mile launch at 20 MPH and so on and so forth. Who knows maybe in one pass one will be quicker and in another the other ride will.

Be safe!

Jim White

All things being equal I will bet on the 95 STS.

There is so much more to it than just the car, however. Tire pressures, engine condition, engine temperature, state of tune of the engine, fuel, etc....all make a big difference.

Pump the tires up to 40 PSI. Run the tank dry and put the best available gasoline in the tank for the race so that the knock control system will not be retarding the spark and hurting the power. Take everything out of the car for minimum weight.

Etc.....

Also, wax your car REAL good, cut your mufflers off, drain your cooling system, and remove your outside dual rear view mirrors.....

Archived