CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

suspension noise

Arash

Dear all members

Recently I took my car to the dealer to diagnose a really bad front suspension noise(almost intolerable) and they identified several trouble areas including strut seats, strut mounts, and upper and lower engine mounts. I replaced all those by myself and the noise is much better than before. I've also done front stabilizer bar bushings recently. I still get some very noticeable noises but don't know where they come from. While opening the front struts in order to replace their mounts, I inspected stablizer bar links. They seemed ok at the first glance but the rubber at both ends seems a little bit too soft. I don't know how to identify a faulty stabilizer link. I also checked both baljoints and tierods and they seem firm and solid. Which other parts I must check in order to identify the remaining suspension noises?

All suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Had a banging noise in mine at first - couldn't figure it out - there was a bolt missing from the front stabilizer bar.

WD-40 - most misunderstood stuff in the universe. It's not a lubricant - it's a water displacement (wd?). It may have some minor lube qualities - but that's not it's purpose -

What kind of noises are you hearing?

Tim

To quote Jerry MacGuire "help me to help you". Like Tim said "what kind of noises are you hearing" and under what conditions? Do you hear it turning left, right, straight, over bumps, is it squeaking sound, a grinding sound, etc? Be as specific as you can. I just solved a creaking issue of my own (most annoying) and these guys were a lot of help.

-kg

207,000 miles

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

replacing stabilizer links is relatively easy and inexpensive but will make big difference ( mine did). But first tell us about the "better noise" :D

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

There's been a bunch (Archives) of info about stabilizer links "Looking OK" that were actually beyond their useful life. When assembled, a faulty end will be held tight by the other ends, and look OK.

rek

I think it's mostly a banging noise;It's definitely not a creaking or a squeaking noise. It seems as though the whole strut assembly is moving. It happens at every major bump no matther you are turning or going straight. My car has 90,000 miles which is not that much. I also need to check the control arm bushings. My problem now is that I can't know for sure whether the links are bad or still ok. The rubber at each side of the link looks a bit too soft when the link is disassembled, But when I installed the struts yesterday and screwed the link to the strut, they seemed ok. I pushed the link in and out with my hand and it was solid. Assuming that my car was driven very hard by the previous owner, would 90,000 miles be an appropriate time to replace the links?

by "better noise" I meant the car got much quiter when I replaced strut mounts.

Thanks for all suggestions

Arash, lets make sure we're on the same page here. When you said you replaced the upper mounts, did you mean the 2 "dog bone" shaped mounts/ stabilizers? One's shorter then the other. Is that what you meant?

-kg

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

I'm now thoroughly confused. I thought we were talking about struts.....as in MacPherson Struts, not the dog bones that stabilize the motor.

The banging noise when going over bumps, assuming that we are talking about the suspension, usually means the strut on the offending side is DOA.

Tim

I'm now thoroughly confused. I thought we were talking about struts.....as in MacPherson Struts, not the dog bones that stabilize the motor.

The banging noise when going over bumps, assuming that we are talking about the suspension, usually means the strut on the offending side is DOA.

Tim

Let's see what Arash has to say about the doggy bones. Amazing how much banging I had going over bunps when mine were shot. To the naked eye they looked fine..... even standing on the brakes and applying load.

-kg

"Burns" rubber

Sorry confusing you guys

I've replaced both front strut mounts(suspension) along with upper(dog bones) and lower engine mounts. My question only concerns the suspension components, not the engine components. When I was saying I replaced the upper mounts, I meant the suspension not the dogbones.

Sorry confusing you guys

I've replaced both front strut mounts(suspension) along with upper(dog bones) and lower engine mounts. My question only concerns the suspension components, not the engine components. When I was saying I replaced the upper mounts, I meant the suspension not the dogbones.

About 2 months ago I had the upper strut mounts replaced but not the very upper bushing. Bad call..... you have to specifiy that you want the upper strut mount bushing included in the order. Who knew? It was in the next week and all was right. Not sure that is your situation though.

-kg

"Burns" rubber

I actually checked the upper strut mount bushing carefully and it was ok. It wasn't worn or anything. I also searched the archives regarding the stabilizer bar links. I'm almost convinced that they must be replaced. Is there any other item that I must check in order to detect the banging noise?

Is there any other item that I must check in order to detect the banging noise?

I sense a bad joke coming here.

"Burns" rubber

Archived