CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Bbobynski in an Envoy

JimD

Is that a DOD Envoy?

If so, please share your experience of a driver's perception of the "transparency" of the number of cylinders that are functional.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

DOD = displacement on demand, or multi-cylinder activation for those of you who might have wondered if Guru driving a Government vehicle this week.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I was driving around looking for Hondas with wings to pick on....LOL LOL

I think we all do that...with our Cadillacs! :D

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Man, I gotta get my glasses...I read that heading as: "Bbobynski IS an Envoy"..Then I open the string, and the guy is an envoy from the DOD, no less. I'm thinking..("Geezz, Guru I thought I knew you"...) and the DOD too, for that matter..

Duh...where's my glasses, anyway?... B)

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

BTW.....the 1981 MD (Modulated Displacement) system was incredably reliable....the reason the car had such a poor reputation for reliability was that it was also the first year for a digital microprocessor engine control from Delco. Their first. Lots of people...i.e..other manufacturers..... went to school on that car.

Guru, do you know much about the fuel-injected Sevilles of 1976 era? They were fuel-injected (TBI I would guess) Oldsmobile 350 engines, and probably incorporated some sort of a computer. Or was it mechanical fuel injection? Us Oldsmobile guys are (were in my case) always looking for a Seville intake manifold to bolt to a previously carburated Olds engines and make a fuelie out of it.

Guru, so what was the deal with you in that Mopar? More "Youth sensitivity training" ? I read some reviews on the SRT4 Neon and it sounded like the GN (Buick) of the 0000's. Did you mess with any Caddie V's ? That thing was supposed to show tail lights to some of the exotics. Spill if you will...

rek

Guru said:

The Saturn Ion Redline and the little SRT4 Neon were two of the most intertaining cars I have driven lately, I must say. There is some latent ricer in me some where. I was driving around looking for Hondas with wings to pick on....LOL LOL

Hey Guru. Just wondered what you thought of that new Neon. Thinking about buying one. I love my Caddy, but I pretty much drive it only on the weekends. The Neon is my commuter / business car. Between commuting, and seeing clients, I'm on the road 600-1200 miles a week. A lot more economical at 25-30 mpg. The Neon that I drive now is 4 years old, with 150K on it, so it's getting to be time to visit the stealership to throw this one out, and pick up a new one. Frankly, the ONLY money I've put into this car until last week (had to replace the shifter cables) has been brakes, oil changes, plugs, and wires, period. No complaints, but I wouldn't mind driving something with a little more ZING. I've heard that the new supercharged version is pretty cool.

Tim

The Neon that I drive now is 4 years old, with 150K on it, so it's . . .

Tim

You are way overdue for a timing belt change on that Neon. Change it or trade it. If it goes it will take out every valve the engine has.

Had the car since brand new. Changed it at 55K, 110K, and will do it again if I still have it at 165K. Made the mistake of not changing a timing belt in my Son's car (a Hyundai) once about 5 years ago. You never make that mistake twice (if you have an IQ over 50 ;) )

Tim

If I can help it, I'll never own a car with a timing belt. What a useless piece of equipment (the timing belt). If they done it right from the beginning, they'da used a chain. It's more expensive up front, but I bet you recover the cost during ownership by not having to change the dumb thing every 50 or 100 thousand miles.

I agree completely. But it can be used to advantage. I bought my Neon with 60,000 on it for only a thousand bucks because the belt had let go and taken out all the valves. For me it is an easy mechanical fix using cheap parts. That stands in stark contrast to my Caddy whose parts are all expensive. Currently I am looking at the cost of the Caddy's rear level riding shocks and wondering what I can put in that isn't so expensive.

Why not just put a northstar in the saturn?

Then it would really be a rocket. I don't understand why car manufacturers don't do this type of thing. They used to do it a long time ago. Small cars with huge engines. What about a small turbo diesel with 300+hp and gobs of torque in a little car. Doing some research it seems that subaru WRX car is like one of the fastest 'little cars' you can get without spending gobs of $. Why is that?

They do it in other countries....... well, not the big engine in little car but rather an extremely small car like 2000 lbs with quite a bit of power. which is a deathtrap since it is so small and has no protection if u slam into something :) I guess everyone wants to be 'safe' here. How did we make it through our childhood ranging from the 1920's through the 70's without destroying ourselves. There wasn't all this 'safe' crap back then and it wasn't bad. Now it's worse and things are more safe? I don't get it. I don't even trust letting my kids go outside alone now and probably would have 50 years ago (if i was alive and had kids then) , and yet it's more safe now.. sigh .. I dunno. Let's all *smurf* to cadillac to get them to make the XLR cheaper so maybe one of us could possibly afford one.. say make it 40k and then we can afford it in a couple years when it has depreciated to 15k :)

Archived