CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

We can't replicat the problem...

chig

Last Sunday on a trip back from GA, I lost Overdrive in SC. I was crusin at 75 and some guy passed me at 90ish. I moved out to keep up so I could make some time, but the rpms just went higher, not the speedo. Hmmm.

The more I paid attention to what was going on, I noticed a chirping noise when the car would try to go into overdrive, but still it would not shift. The rpms would jump up an extra 1000 but no accceleration.

I stopped to check the fluid and it as full.

I left it in "D" and ran about 75mph, after a while the DIC told me "trans hot idle engine" Then I ran 65 and after a while I got the same message. Then finally down to 55 for the last 100 miles.

It took 3 dealers to find one who could get it in before this weekend.

Guess what.

It's working fine they tell me. Like I'm some kind of idiot who probably left it in "2" for the whole trip.

They said there was an erroneous code that may have caused it. Whatever. That must be the new gov't conspiricy code that slows down drivers.

I am so freakin angry, I can't even find the curse words to make me feel better.

I had wanted to drive it back to GA for my 2 week Vacation to visit with friends and family. I WAS so proud of my STS, and now it looks like I'll be driving the 4 banger 94 accord (not riced out :lol:).

What a distinct pleasure that is let me tell you.

begin stream of vulgarity to make a sailer blush.

When was the last time you had the fluids in the trans DRAINED and REPLACED as well as the filter cleaned or replaced? You might consider having it done if it's not been done lately or you don't know when it was done.

Remember, DRAIN and REPLACE the fluids in the trans, don't get it flushed. I understand flushing the trans might cause problems with it.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

I didn't have a chance to push the car after I picked it up untill now.

Took me 5 minutes on the Turnpike to gently ride it up to 85 with the rpms steady at 4000 (in Drive), and then - it shifts to 4th and 3000 rpms, one second later - it shifts down to 3rd and rpms up to 4000, up-down-up-down-up-down. For as long as I hold it at 85. Speed doesn't change, but the orgy of shifting is annoying.

I slow down to 60 and manually put it in 3rd, and then roll it up to 6500 rpms and it shifts into 4th.

Moments later "service transmission" appears on the DIC. No one listens to me.

I presume that dealers share the cost of Cadillac Certified Warranty repairs. A trans would be expensive and time consuming. They probably want to push it off.

Armen Cadillac in Plymouth Meeting not only didn't listen to me, but gave me attitude when I explained I had a warranty from Cadillac, and upon picking up the car.

When I first checked the car in, I offered the Cadillac Card I got in the mail with the VIN, my name (mispelled) and warranty start and end dates.

"That won't do me any good" he brushed me off not even looking at it.

"I need the registration."

I went back to the car and got it.

When he asked how I was paying for the rental I said Cadillac is paying. He asked what warranty I had.

I said Cadillac.

He punched into the computer and said, "you don't have a warranty, I don't know what they told you when you bought the car but you don't have a warranty."

Nice and embarrasing. Don't I look smart.

He walked me over to the very nice rental girl, and left me. I looked at the card I initially offered him and noticed the Warranty dates.

I walked back to him and waited till he was done with his next customer. I handed him the card.

He exclaimed, "Why didn't you tell me this before? This would have saved me a bunch of trouble." Saved him trouble? WTF???

Not only is it a self diagnostic shop, but the customer needs to know the names of every possible darn GM warranty available so the counter guy doesn't have to.

They also left the ODBII connector cover on the floor along with the greasy crinkled paper floor matt. Nice.

This was my first and hopefully last time at Armen.

That "service" sucks hairy sphincter!

Not all dealerships are created equal! Since you have a GM warranty, I'd go today(mine is open on Saturday) or Monday morning. Could be a very expensive repair. If you can, drive the car with them and let them see what it's doing.

Jeff

Jeff

98 Concours

90 Seville

04 Corvette

Your cadillac has a self diagnostic code reader, check the OBDII codes yourself and post your findings. Someone on the board can tell you exactly what is wrong and you can compare diagnostics with the dealer. On most caddy's you just turn the key on (engine off) and push and hold the "off" and "warmer" buttons on the climate control, then watch for codes in the message center. There is no need for a OBDII code reader to be used when you can look the codes up yourself. Go to www.caddyinfo.com under the FAQ's and read up on diagnostic codes. Information is the key before you go to the dealer.

PCM P0730 History

DTC P0730 sets if the steady state adapts are at their maximum, and the PCM detects an incorrect gear ratio because of excessive slip within the transmission. DTC P0730 is a Type C DTC.

I wonder if that was the "erroneous" code Armen told me about?

IF it is a certified car with cadillac warranty, the other gm dealer will only work on it if their is not a cadillac dealer locally or you happen to have broken down at their frount door. I tried the same thing and was turned down by three gm dealerships and they all had the same story. One of them gave me the warranty department for gm and they confirmed what the dealer said. I DROVE 30 MILES to another CADILLAC dealer and had no problem getting problem fixed.

I presume that dealers share the cost of Cadillac Certified Warranty repairs. A trans would be expensive and time consuming. They probably want to push it off.

You presume wrong. The dealership doesn't share the cost of the warranty work with GM, other then the fact that GM usually doesn't pay the full door rate for warranty work. But the dealerships do get paid for the job.

Ian

No one listens to me.

This was my first and hopefully last time at Armen.

Chig, I have a good friend that owns GENERAL SALES CADILLAC 610-692-1100, I think they are still in West Chester, PA, ask for George Ruggerie, and tell him you are an aquantance of Mike Connor (Joe Connor's son). Tell him of your experience with Armen, and tell him I told you about them because I know them to be honest and competent! If George is not (he is semi-retired I think) there ask for Roger, they will direct you to who can help you. Try to get George if you can, he's a great guy, tell him I said HI. An interesting story about George, he had a few NEW OUT OF THE WRAPPER 50's and 60's Caddies STORED on the second floor that were destroyed in a fire! OUCH!! Mike

Philly Dude, I just noticed your post about general sales! They are good aren't they! My parents bought every Caddy they owned from George, he is a great guy. Mike

Philly Dude, I just noticed your post about general sales! They are good aren't they! My parents bought every Caddy they owned from George, he is a great guy. Mike

DUH, SORRY ABOUT THE DUPLICATE POST (no im not trying to build up my stats, lol)

Thanks for the recomendations.

I got them too late however.

I tried Faulkner Cadillac Hummer in Trevose because they're the next closest on the list. He has room for me on Tuesday. Phew. We'll see how it goes, and I'll let you know.

Thanks Again!

The Faulkner mechanic said "Man it was really chewed up in there. We just ordered another trans from GM".

I picked it up today. I asked them to replce my right cornering lamp bulb and they did it no charge.

Sweet!

I'll be motoring comfortably and quickly to Georgia this Friday night!

Archived