CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Air whistle sound when accelerating

hiljak

Well,

i finaly got my ac system working like a champ and now a new noise. A very distinct whislte sound when accelerating to about 30 or so, if I let off the gas and let it down shift, I can hear the whistle change pitch as the trans down shifts. Also, I can't get the noise while the car is not moving, even opening the throttle moderately.

I have taken of the air box assembly and made sure it was sealed (yeah right, they suck on a 95), but still have the whistle. Any ideas?

James

1999 STS 65k

1995 STS 127k

:D Wouldn't that be nice. I'd really be leaving the Japanese burners in the dust then. I will further investigate it in the morning, hopefully its not something major.

I just changed the water pump with a generic from Advanced Auto Parts (lifetime warranty) and it sound like it's grinding a bit (no coolant leak). I may get another under warranty and replace it but I doubt they are related. Maybe though, any thoughts?

James

1999 STS 65k

1995 STS 127k

darn, didnt even read that you checked the air box.. good call.

i dont think they would be related, but id switch it out if it sounds funny.. for sure

lol, maybe you can get somebody to drive the car whilst you stand on the engine or bumper.. im crazy like that, id do it.. but im not taking responsabilty if you get hurt :P

what was wrong with your a/c?

Well,

I thought my new waterpump was making the grinding noise but upon inspection of the water pump tensioner pulley, I could see the actual ball bearings and some have fallen out ( at some point the outer cover of the bearing must have come off). When I removed the bearing, the whole thing came apart and all the balls fell out. My local parts house can;t get the part and Caddy is closed. Oh joy!, no car over the weekend.

James

1999 STS 65k

1995 STS 127k

Ford has a TSB issued about this....its the air passing by the throttle plate. Try cleaning your throttle plate and see if this fixes it....

Hey it happens with OEM parts too.. I bought an air pump and it was DOA :/

Usually the cheaper you pay for it, the more chance you have of it breaking though.

Larry, the bearings fell out of the water pump tensioner pulley, not the actual water pump. lol

Logan, I tried cleaning the blade again (I just cleaned it really well about 3 to 4 months ago) and I still get the noise. I will clean it really well again. I'm starting to wander if it is coming from the trans :( but I sure hope not. I will try the cleaning the blade again now and report back.

James

1999 STS 65k

1995 STS 127k

Logan, chalk another one up for yourself. Throtle plate is clean as a whislte, now the car don't whistle. :lol: Thanks for the info.

Sugested new tag line for this site... "Caddyinfo.com, solving problems for zero dollars"

I love this board.

James

1999 STS 65k

1995 STS 127k

Archived