CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Water pump removal

rjhat

Lately my caddy has been leaking coolant. I finally got down to the water pump and with a mirror and flashlight saw it leaking pretty heavily from the bottom. I purchased the new pump and began the disassembly process then found out that a tool is required. Does anyone have any idea how to remove the pump without the special socket? I am getting worried as it leaked almost all of its coolant on a 10 mile trip. Please share your thoughts.

You can get the tool on eBay (with foresight), or you may be able to rent it from Autozone. Or you can do like Larry and make one yourself.

Once you have the tool, it's absolutely the easiest water pump change you'll ever do. I wish all vehicles were this easy; you will too.

Where are you located? Anywhere in/near North Carolina and I'd let you borrow mine.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I was fortunate enough to be able to plan my job...so I was able to gather all the parts before hand. I used the Buy It Now option on eBay and got the tool for $19.99 I think. Figured it'd be cheap, but seems sturdy enough. It was certainly enough to do the job. With the DEX-COOL, the pump wasn't seized in place and came out nicely. Knowing where everything is now, I bet you I could do the job in 45 minutes, from the time I started to drain the radiator until it was running again, and I'm topping off the fluid. :)

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I wonder if they make an electric water pump :) I like those. Also electric air pump to do PCV helps a lot. I guess this isn't a racecar though hEHeheh (although I drive it like one)

Quite some time a ago I recall someone saying they actually changed one without the water pump socket. I think he said he used a screwdriver and hammer to rotate the pump. I believe he also said it took forever (and there is a possibility of doing damage). Do yourself a favor and beg, borrow, buy or steal a socket. There is nothing like having the right tool for the job. I think I have heard that Autozone will rent them.

Im just outside of atlanta. I tried the screwdriver and hammer thing, but it never budged. I decided to quit before i cracked the aluminum housing. i dont think the pmup is that bad, just the rubber oring, but no since in taking it all apart and not doing it right. I did ask the local autozone and they said they didnt have the tool. i found one from a tool shop in NY for $25. ill just try to order it today. I will say this, i've never seen a water pump leak this much water.

A year ago my 97 with 90000 mi. was leaking from the water pump housing I got a new seal from the dealer and installed the housing. I thought about changing the water pump but the whole process was so easy I thought if it goes in a year or 2 or 3 no problem. also a plus would be a new anti freeze. so far so good. When you install the housing I recommend you get a seal from the dealer you can put rtv on the outside of the seal if you like, for back up. Use a special rtv that wont harm you o2 sensor. Dont forget the bars leak gold in the rad hose I only used one tube they say you should use 2. Buy a tool at your convience and put it in your trunk. buy a ac pully remover/Iinstaller tool (metric) throw that in your trunk as you are going to need it some day. Pully bearings are crap. Mike

Im just outside of atlanta. I tried the screwdriver and hammer thing, but it never budged. I decided to quit before i cracked the aluminum housing. i dont think the pmup is that bad, just the rubber oring, but no since in taking it all apart and not doing it right. I did ask the local autozone and they said they didnt have the tool. i found one from a tool shop in NY for $25. ill just try to order it today. I will say this, i've never seen a water pump leak this much water.

Bruce has one for rent. Look here http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=555

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

BUY(or rent) THE TOOL. I have done the job on the N* and the 4.9L. I would do 2-3 N* jobs against one 4.9L-much more work IMO. Tool made the job a breeze, I did not even have to take the dogbone shock off or the top radiator hose. just unbolted the panel and a small hose and got it out of the way, no prob. Did I mention I did not even drain the Dexcool? I only lost about 1/2 quart when the panel came off. Good luck with the job!

I also got the tool from Ebay and it is sturdy like the MAC model. do your self a favor and spray some lime-away around the impeller to eat away some of the corrision. Then hit the impeller dead square in the middle with moderate strength. It should then budge easy with the tool. I used the socket on an air impact but you could probably get it with a breaker and a pipe.

James

1999 STS 65k

1995 STS 127k

I recently bought the Northstar waterpump tool at NAPA. $22 and they had it the next day. No aggravation of waiting for the mail. Worked fine. Yes this is the easiest to replace. Takes 1/4 the time of doing it on a 4.9.

Good luck.

Archived