CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

First trip to Dealer.... WHAT?!?!?!

fredster

Well, I had a crack in my surge tank and working 80 hours this week so I let the dealer change it out. I've also noticed the last few times that my start-ups seem like a dying battery so I had them check the battery while they had it. They said the battery was bad.

But get this.... they wanted $240 to change the battery!!! $120 for the battery and another $120 to change it out!!! What?!?!?

Needless to say I will do it myself (I wouldn't pay someone $10 to change my battery!) (.....OK, maybe $10)

Something else I found to be peculiar: I've heard several people on this site say DISTILLED water should be used in the cooling system, but I asked Cadillac what they use and they said they just use city water. Is this what Cadillac is supposed to do?

Also, I read in the service manual that to change the surge tank, it says to drain the radiator. But the dealer says they didn't do this. In fact, what they were going to do was just replace the tank/hose and top off the system with water! Even though enough coolant had drained out for the "coolant low" alarm to come on. Seems like draining the system should be included in the labor if that's what the service manual says.

Am I wrong?

Geez, 120 to install the battery? They should use distilled water and replace what was needed with antifreeze and distilled water, 50/50.

What dealer is this and where are they located? We need to know so none of us will go there.

Did they give you any lube while trying to scr*w you? lol

Jeff

Jeff

98 Concours

90 Seville

04 Corvette

New car dealers are busy trying to find new ways to cover their overhead as autos become more and more reliable and needing fewer warranty repairs.

I have a text file of an article from the Dallas Morning News that I can post here, but I would like to first get approval from Bruce to copy/paste an 11kb file. The article talks about dealership cash flow / overhead and how the retail / service end of the industry is changing.

Bruce??

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

I know Baton Rouge very well also, went to Tara High School, my wife to Broadmoor. That is indeed the only dealership in Baton Rouge, went to H.S. with Ron Duplessis.

I would look for independant shop for any repairs or service, I remember there are a few good ones in B.R. just ask around.

Yea, everyone knew who Ron Duplessis was, he was the guy that drove the a new Trans Am every year, also went to school with Doug Richards, his dad own the Ford dealership, seemed like everyone had new cars but me, I had to be happy with my 69 Barracuda.

sebring06RTP.jpg

Interesting articles. Although I have never heard of anyone receiving routine A/C service for $35......

The guy with the '03 Deville who pays an independent shop do work on his car even though it was under factory warranty was difficult to believe but stranger things happen.....

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

It's one thing to make a high profit on something......nothing wrong with that if the market will bear it, but to charge 240.00 for a battery installed is rape. They might as well say it's 2,000. for a new battery. You'd have to have more money than you know what to do with or be a little short in the brain dept to pay that when you can go to Sams or Sears and get a good battery for less than 100 installed. That's why it's great having a board like this where we can bring things out in the open. You'd think with the internet and all, the stealerships would realize people can check prices, order parts online and beat their local prices. Oh well, at least we live and learn.

Jeff

Jeff

98 Concours

90 Seville

04 Corvette

Oh, it WILL be the LAST!

Jim, thanks for the articles. Have to read them later.

Bronson, it's a small world. There is a Doug Richards that works at the same chemical plant as me (there's only two Doug Richarrds listed in the book). Anyway, if you personally know a good mechanic in BR, I would love to know. Right now, the closest one I trust is about an hour away.

Well, I have to hit the sack. At least I don't feel so alone in not wanting to pay dealer an arm and leg for a battery. I chuckle every time I think of it!!

You'd think with the internet and all, the stealerships would realize people can check prices, order parts online and beat their local prices. Oh well, at least we live and learn.

Jeff

Dealer parts department employees know you can find a web source. But you have to tell them that you know about web sources and are willing to wait a few days for delivery.

The invoice price will drop considerably, or at least it does at my local dealership parts window.

Batteries are one exception, of course!

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

You still need to use distilled water. There's no way to tell what's in tap water unless you do a full analysis and that would cost more than distilled water....

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived