CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

AIR WON'T BLOW HARD THRU VENTS - WHY??

Hey gents, I have a good one for you. 1993 Seville STS Northstar...

Previous blower made a boatload of noise then just quit. Air blew fine before. Evap OK, not plugged.

1) Installed new Delco blower motor, no big deal. Proud of myself.

2) Works great, everything operating, quiet, but NO decent air flow! Not proud anymore.

3) Checked motor behind glove box that operates AIR MIX DOOR, - operates perfectly.

4) Checked vacuum lines "Y valve" on pass.side, and set near plug wires - Fine.

5) Checked "vacuum canister" under front passenger wheel well - All good.

The air is "trickling out" and not BLOWING out. What else can cause this low flow??

There is another flap down below the blower and above the driver's feet to the right.

**What position should that particular flap be in with air on full?? Closed or half open??**

This is getting ponderous man. Friggin ponderous. Any ideas??

With your user name being what it is I'd have to be hard pressed. I, however, do find it entertaining.

The definition of an enthusiast is "a person filled with enthusiasm" or " one who is ardently attached to a cause, object, or pursuit." Then there is my personal favorite "one who tends to become ardently absorbed in an interest." I would call the last one fanatic, bordering on unhealthy. I think I'd rather be an enthusiast as opposed to a fanatic.

CADS RULE DUDES! Alright Alright Alright...

When you had the blower motor out did you notice any debris? I had a mouse build a nest in my duct work and it plugged up everything.

I am with Paul. I had a similar problem with a Delta 88. It had a screen that was plugged. I don't know about the caddy but this car had a screen that was deep inside the duct and had been plugged with oil and crud. It was a bugger to clean but it solved the problem.

Fan installed backwards on shaft of new motor?   Electrical connector reversed 180º?

This could be it.

I did replace the connector.

Did I blow it by reversing the wires on the actual connector?

Will that mistake change the direction the motor rotates?

I could understand the "low flow" if it was spinning backwards!

The motor and squirrel cage came together. Surely it's the right one, I hope! Crap!

I didn't have any nests nor any debris, as I did reach all the way back to the evaperator. Where is this screen? How to get to?

We're getting close guys. Thanks so far gents!!! :)

With your user name being what it is I'd have to be hard pressed. I, however, do find it entertaining.

The definition of an enthusiast is "a person filled with enthusiasm" or " one who is ardently attached to a cause, object, or pursuit." Then there is my personal favorite "one who tends to become ardently absorbed in an interest." I would call the last one fanatic, bordering on unhealthy. I think I'd rather be an enthusiast as opposed to a fanatic.

Did that year have the cabin air filters?

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Can you hear the blower cycling from low to high? 

Can you tell if the blower is blowing high but just no air volume coming from the vents? 

Is air escaping somewhere?

Max

Well, the blower turns on, I can hear it running, it looks (from underneath) to be cranking on high.

I think the squirrel cage is the wrong one for my car. I think it is "beating" the air, and not scooping it.

As for the cabin filter, well, I had my arm inside the box all the way to the evaporater, and I never saw a filter.

Think I'll pull the blower motor AGAIN and switch cages and see if that does it.

I'm getting really good at this removal! :blink:

:)

Hi! I had the same problem on my 93 STS. Thanks to these board members, I found it to be a clogged heater core. The instructions for access and cleaning are here somewhere, just do a search.

FW

FIXED IT!!!! Unbelievable, it WAS the two wires into the connector!

I installed them backwards. The blower was spinning the wrong way,

hence the trickling of the air! :ph34r:

The original STS wires are purple and black. The new connector had only two

WHITE wires sticking out of it. Didn't think it mattered.(yeah dude, just hook it

up and turn it on, yowza!) I chose poorly. Flipped the two wires, BAM! Air for

days, coming out of the vents.

Gentlemen, thank you for all the suggestions.

Until the next broken whatever.....next week.... c ya! :rolleyes:

Damnpieceofcrapshadetreemechanic...giving Caddy's a bad name again! :D

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Nobody told me about "reverse polarity" BEFORE I started the job! (thanks bbobynski!) :P

Hey I saved about $500 doing it myself! Last year it was the water pump job! :lol:

Why anyone would ever "drop the motor," or "tilt it forward" to pull the blower motor is beyond me. Removing the strut brace, and the ignition module out of the way and pushing away some wiring is the key.

Where it says "CUT HERE" on the housing, well, that's just to cut away the plastic/rubber housing over the top of the blower motor area with an exacto knife. Some of it will crumble away in your hands!

Once the rubberish casing is cut away on the top only, all you do is unscrew 5 little sheet metal screws, remove the top plate, and voila, motor exposed and easily pulls backward and right out. Plenty of room.

I put the crumbling rubber housing back on and sealed it in with high temp black silicone. Plus, I installed some noise resistant/heat deflecting insulation around the motor. Maybe increasing the life of the unit. Whisper quiet now!

Next shade tree mechanic job? PASSIVE STRUTS!! OY! Thanks guys!:blink::D

Archived