CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

$79.95 For A "Computer Scan." $60.00 for an oil dy

WarrenJ

I've recently moved to a new neighborhood. Not too surprisingly, I'm not familiar with the local auto mechanics. Dropped the car there the other day with a bad water pump.

When I picked the car up, I noted on the bill a charge of $79.95 for a "computer scan.(!)" Gee, can't you do that from the driver's seat? There was also a $60 charge for an "oil dye test" After this hi-tech test it was determined that my oil drain plug needed to be replaced.

P.S I got a refund

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Good to hear. It sounds like you got a computer SCAM to me. Funny what they assume people will pay for repairs on such a "complex" car as a Northstar'd Cadillac. :)

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Heh.. well if the stinkin 'scan tools' didn't cost so darn much, people wouldn't charge much for it :> I'm planning on building one into my laptop (after I get the laptop working again lol)

Heh.. well if the stinkin 'scan tools' didn't cost so darn much, people wouldn't charge much for it :>

Well:

1) A computer scan is not needed, nor requested, with a water pump change. You can't just start adding "services" to the bill without prior confirmation from the customer!

and

2) You don't need scan tool for a "computer scan" on a Cadillac. A lot of us do it right in our driveways, and have no need for an expensive tool, unless we're setting out to do something major like programming a different speed limiter into the computer or something.

Yes, that was a joke.

;)

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

The 'onboard diagnostic' tool is a nice toy. But when you have real problems....you'll need one of these. A GM Tech2.

This ones ours:

http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/376867...70_plot_010.jpg

Well I want to know my fuel ratio and fuel pressure and timings and all that crap. With the scan tool you can monitor and graph all of this in real time. You can tell exactly what a 'modification' you made to the car did or if something is close to being out of spec , etc.. It's da bomb. Used to have stuff like that on my mustang but it was all carbuerated. I had a laptop that was hooked up to o2 sensors in the exhaust, and fuel pressure, air temp, vacuum, temperature, crankshaft position, timing, all SORTS of things :) Was very fun. I love mixing computers with old school things.. but the computer did absoutely nothing to run the engine at all. I could shut it all down and it would run with one wire going to the battery for the ignition and that's it..

That was the bomb :)

Try this with a SnapOn scan tool.....

Corvette door module codes.

Corvette CCM mileage input on a new CCM module.

Or....enhanced GM codes....

CBD!

I BOUGHT OIL DYE FROM NAPA FOR LESS THAN $6.00, INCLUDING TAX. YOU THEN RUN THE MOTOR AND USE A BLACK LIGHT, LIKE WE HAD IN OUR DORM ROOMS IN THE EARLY 70`S FOR THOSE DAYGLO POSTERS, TO SEE WHERE THE OIL IS LEAKING FROM. SEEMS LIKE ALOT OF MONEY FOR THAT PROCEDURE.

Well I want to know my fuel ratio and fuel pressure and timings and all that crap. With the scan tool you can monitor and graph all of this in real time.

Which scan tool is capable of reporting an actual air-fuel ratio or fuel pressure?

Not my call but if they did that to me I would ask for my 79.95 back.

I would give it a try all they can do is say No.Ask them why it was necessary to do the scan in the first place.

Good Luck

Jim

No problema! I DID get a refund

:D Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Warren, I see you are in New York. There is a law in this state that requires you to sign for any repairs before they are made. The entire point of this law is to prevent add-ons like this. So it all depends on what you signed for. So it is at the point you sign that you straighten out what will be done. Incidentally, the same group of laws requires them to give you back the worn out parts if you ask which is a really good way to ensure the work was actually done.

good tip on requesting bad parts. sometimes i'll do it for something minor, just to see the reaction on their faces...especially if they don't offer.

Archived