CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Transaxle fluid change

kcd1184

Gasket and filter kit from Caddy dealer.. $79

Hastings gasket and filter kit from parts store...$39

I know this is probably like the oil debates, but is there that much physical difference in these two products to justify $40 bucks. I know its not much in the transaxle big picture, but still...

Kent

94 Eldo

If I recall correctly, you don't really have to replace the filter. It's more like a fine screen, and I understand you can just wash it out and reuse it. I'd definitely get the gasket OEM though. Search the archives, there should be something to do with the filter.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

If I recall correctly, you don't really have to replace the filter. It's more like a fine screen, and I understand you can just wash it out and reuse it. I'd definitely get the gasket OEM though. Search the archives, there should be something to do with the filter.

I agree. Just clean the screens.

When the pan is removed, only a portion of the trans fluid is removed. There is a plug towards the front (accessed with the pan removed) that will drain the majority of the fluid.

I usually disconnect the trans cooler line first and connect a hose to it and run to a bucket and start the engine and have the trans pump itself dry.

Then when the pan is removed you have a minimal amount of oil spilling, and you don't need to remove the plug to drain the remaining fluid.

Use the OEM gasket, it's rubber (like rubber) with a steel center.

Barry

2008 STS V8
2016 Colorado Z71
1970 Corvette LT-1 Coupe

There is no serviceable filter for this transaxle; unless you plan on removing and/or disassmbling the transaxle.

You do however have a metal screen, located in the transaxle oil pan, that needs to be cleaned and put back in.

The gasket should be about $40 from the dealer. It is made of a stainless steel shim, with silicone double beading on both sides. It is one of the best gaskets I have ever used. I have replaced them on both of my STS's and neither one has ever leaked a drop of fluid afterwards.

Use no gasket sealer of any kind. Just make sure the pan and transaxle are both clean and dry prior to replacing the pan.

-George

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

Changed my 98 gmc truck transmission a while back bought my gasket/filter kit from carquest . On the box the maker claimed they made oem filters for various mfg. Also the gasket on the transmission was reusable so I reused it. Yours might be too.

Some would consider the gasket reusable. In my experience both gaskets showed similar permanent compression, of the sealing beads. I believe it may be able to reseal, but I would expect at least some seepage from reusing the gasket.

If you don't care about seepage or leaks, by all means reuse the gasket. If you don't like your car to leak transmission fluid; it desolves asphalt, it's slippery, your garage or driveway looks like messy, etc., the OEM gasket is the only way to go.

If the price of a quality gasket is the driving force here, maybe this is the wrong car to own. :unsure:

I don't like to waste money either but I think buying this OEM gasket is money well spent. You might also try buying the gasket online for a better price.

-George

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

Thanks guys

Went with the OEM gasket kit. Includes two screen filters, two screen filter seals, and a nice gasket. Also bought the pellets for the cooling system. Had to remove the air filter box and base to access the radiator drain . Also pulled a long thin cover or shield down below. Changed the oil and filter too since I have it jacked up . Thirteen inches to the bottom of the transaxle pan.

Did the cooling system and oil already. I'm going to drop the tranny pan now. Hope, the re-sets aren't too complicated, I've got the service manual.

Wish me luck.

Kent

94 Eldo

I dont think we are talking money here! We are changing fluid in a transmission I have performed this operation a no. of times with different filters and gaskets and as long as it is done correctly there should be no problem. I see no problem with this reusable gasket if it is in good shape. I see no problem with the gasket that comes in the carquest box. If you cant sleep by all means use a new dealer gasket maybe he has a warrenty on it and you could buy that too. MY money is limited and I would rather take my wife to dinner than to give it to my friendly dealer AND I hate to be called cheap and that I dont deserve to own a cadillac. I better stop MIKE

I dont think we are talking money here! We are changing fluid in a transmission I have performed this operation a no. of times with different filters and gaskets and as long as it is done correctly there should be no problem. I see no problem with this reusable gasket if it is in good shape. I see no problem with the gasket that comes in the carquest box. If you cant sleep by all means use a new dealer gasket maybe he has a warrenty on it and you could buy that too. MY money is limited and I would rather take my wife to dinner than to give it to my friendly dealer AND I hate to be called cheap and that I dont deserve to own a cadillac. I better stop MIKE

Mike,

If you meant me, there was no intent to flame or disrespect anyone. Sometimes a note may come across a little strong.

My point was the gasket is about $40, I wouldn't think that would cause anyone here that much wallet pain. I have built engines and transmission for many years and sealing the automatic transmission has always been troublesome. If you can seal it for sure on the first try, it makes sense to me to pay a few dollars more to eliminate the seeping nuisance. I would rather do the job once, and not be bothered with the mess if the gasket doesn’t seal right.

The screens are easy to clean and slip back in; I figure the money I saved on not needing to buy a filter, went to the higher quality gasket. Sort of evens things out.

-George

DTS_Signature.jpg

That is one of two jobs (the other being rear diff fluid change) that I hate doing on any car... It always makes a mess because GM for some reason will still not put a drain plug on the tranny...

I checked around and found a Caddy dealer in my area running a summer special for $50 on a transmission service... I'm going that route this time and keeping myself and my driveway clean this time around...

Check around in your area, lots of dealerships run service specials to get people in there...

Archived